Skimmer

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SuperBlades

Reaction score
I have been keeping tropical fish for around 15 years, since I was 7. I recently set up a marine reef, but cannot get on with it, I want to change the tank to a blackwater set up containing pictus, hatchets, keyholes, corys, that sort of stuff. However I had to modify the hood of the tank to accomidate the skimmer. The skimmer works really well and collects loads of muck. I presume I can use the skimmer in my freshwater set up. Anyone see any problems using it.

Thanks,

Will

The problem skimmers have in Freshwater set-ups is the effective wieght of an object.

Skimmers basically use fine bubbles to "push" partical matter into a cup. This is effective in saltwater aquariums because the salt adds boyancy to objects (for example, it's easier to float in the Atlantic Ocean than in the Amazon River) and thus fine bubbles have no problem lifting relatively "hefty" objects.

In Freshwater, however, there is little or no salt to add to the resistance or extra floatation to objects. Thus, suspended particals in the water don't stay suspended as long. This means that a fine mist of bubbles don't have the lifting force or ability they do in marine set-ups.

So, yes skimmers "work" in Freshwater set-ups, they make a mist of bubbles, they may even build up and over flow into a cup, but they won't trap nearly as much waste and particals. They just aren't that effective.

Sorry I took so long to just say "No."

welcome to the forum

cant say ive tried skimmers but im shure ive seen some attachments for ponds... perhaps i wasnt paying attention properly while i was shopping. i dont think ive seen anyone using them on freshwater setups i expect it might have something to do with the reasons that they have listed above.

Jamnog, you have seen skimmers for ponds. They are not, however, protien skimmers. They are surface skimmers. This is used as the intake for the top water. They sometimes use this in conjuction with bottom drains in larger ponds. But, good eye and memory. :D

ahh thats what they where i have seen protene skimmers too but in the marine section. hmm i might have to look into that as we have a pond and dad is thinking of a large pond in the feild.

Most reactions

Back