Siphon pump system recommendations (not python)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrsjoannh13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good gravel vac system that comes with some sort of pump that allows you to put water back into the tank from a bucket which is lower than the tank? I don't have the ability to hook up to a faucet with something like a python system and I'm killing myself taking one gallon jugs to and from my filtered water to the back of my house where my aquarium is. I'd like to fill up a 5 gallon bucket on wheels, wheel it back to the aquarium and siphon the fresh water up into the tank. I've seen a couple of options on Amazon but the reviews seem dicey (all written in broken English - appear to be fake reviews from sellers... things like that). So I don't want to waste my money.

Thanks!

I used a long clear plastic hose and 2 litre plastic drink bottle as a gravel cleaner. I ran the hose out the door and drained/ gravel cleaned the tank water onto the lawn. Then I had water holding containers and used a small water pump and plastic hose to fill the tanks back up.
You can make an upside down U out of pvc pipe and fit it to the hose. The U can hang over the side of the tank so it doesn't fall off and water the carpet.

You could use a garden hose with a tap on the end to allow you to fill the buckets in different rooms instead of lugging them through the house.

You can buy trolleys from the hardware store. They have 4 wheels and are pretty low to the ground. You could put some buckets of water on that and wheel it through the house. A mechanic's creeper is another sort of flat trolley you could put bucket son and wheel around.

Thanks @Colin_T. Hubs has a cart with wheels that I was thinking of stealing - I mean borrowing - to wheel around my 5 gallon container. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to hook into a garden hose or tap and run a hose all the way to where my tank is. Just the way our house is set up. I think the wheeled cart and 5 gallon container will work well. Just trying to figure out what type of pump and hose system will be best to get the water from the 5 gallon container back up into the tank.

Don’t know how far off the ground your tank is but could wheels on a taller piece of furniture that can hold your full of freshwater bucket in place while mouth siphoning back into tank be a possibility?
Some sort of tall boy plant holder thing with castors screwed to its base/legs? Whole thing could transport full/empty buckets backwards n forwards to filling emptying area?

Don’t know how far off the ground your tank is but could wheels on a taller piece of furniture that can hold your full of freshwater bucket in place while mouth siphoning back into tank be a possibility?
Some sort of tall boy plant holder thing with castors screwed to its base/legs? Whole thing could transport full/empty buckets backwards n forwards to filling emptying area?
The tank is about 3 feet off the ground - standard cabinet level height.

Just trying to figure out what type of pump and hose system will be best to get the water from the 5 gallon container back up into the tank.
AquaClear powerhead, a couple of meters of clear hose, and a pvc U. Use a couple of metal hose clamps and you can pump the water up from the bucket into the tank.

I use this cheap pump from amazon and it works great for me. I have been using it for several months now with no problems. Its submersible, so I lower it down in my tank to drain water, but you can also use it to pump water up and back into your tank.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hubby just bought me this one off Amazon. If it doesn't work I'll try the ones Utar and Colin recommended. I'll let you know how it goes! This pump has lots of reviews so hopefully it will get the job done better than me sloshing gallon buckets back and forth through the whole house! Appreciate all the help.

1608558118610.png

Try a camping/caravan store for a rolling water container like this one off Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P6L48HQ/?tag=

1608605536552.png

You can fill with a hose from the tap, get the temp. right & even add dechlorinator, roll it around the house, then use a small submersible/powerhead to pump into the tank. Saves a lot of backache lifting buckets & jugs.

Try a camping/caravan store for a rolling water container like this one off Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P6L48HQ/?tag=

View attachment 125148

You can fill with a hose from the tap, get the temp. right & even add dechlorinator, roll it around the house, then use a small submersible/powerhead to pump into the tank. Saves a lot of backache lifting buckets & jugs.
Woah - that looks really cool. I don't see it on the US Amazon site but that is a great idea!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back