simple question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aquarium guy person

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey all, I wanna get a background paper thing for the back of my tank and was wondering if black or blue would make the colors pop out more. On one hand fish stores always seem to use blue as the backgrounds but i would have assumed black makes the colors pop more. its gonna be a bare bottom tank so the bottom and one of the sides would also be this color, thanks for the help

I have both black and blue backgrounds, and do prefer the black. I use the cheap black poster paper from Walmart or hang a black piece of fabric behind the tank.

If you have black fish, use a blue or green backing.
If you have blue fish, use a black or green backing.

All fish tanks should have a layer of substrate on the bottom to stop the fish seeing their reflection and getting disorientated. You can use sand or gravel and you only need enough to cover the glass, but there should be something on the bottom.

If you have black fish, use a blue or green backing.
If you have blue fish, use a black or green backing.

All fish tanks should have a layer of substrate on the bottom to stop the fish seeing their reflection and getting disorientated. You can use sand or gravel and you only need enough to cover the glass, but there should be something on the bottom.
Substrate isn't what was being asked about, but I've kept bare bottomed tanks occasionally. They're fine. People who keep bichirs often use bare bottom because the dummy fish will swallow gravel and die. I had one tank that I painted the back and bottom black. Looked pretty good.

I put black on my new tank. I like the look (went with black substrate, too).
BUT... it has me wondering if it's more reflective than the blue I used in the past. Last night it looked like there were three heaters in my tank when viewed from an angle.

Unless the outside is brighter than inside the tank it's always going to be pretty reflective for fish all around the sides. There is probably not a great difference between blue and black unless the blue is very pale. To the fish in a bright tank it must be a bit like being watched through a 2 way mirror in a police cell! But it would at least make their quarters seem bigger :)

Deffo black for me.
I think it gives a tank the appearance of more depth.

DSCN3758.JPG

I've got blue in my tank and it seems to go with decor ok.

Attachments

• Fluval Shaker 252 {66.5 gallons} (2).jpg
    Fluval Shaker 252 {66.5 gallons} (2).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 30
I noticed a lot of UK aquariums have an opaque background.
I'm not sure if that is less reflective, I imagine it is, but I like the look.

I noticed a lot of UK aquariums have an opaque background.
I'm not sure if that is less reflective, I imagine it is, but I like the look.
Probably because we get so much strong, direct sunlight, we need to cut it down to prevent our plants becoming overgrown and our fish sunburnt.
(Have you ever tried applying Factor 30 to a shoal of tetra?)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back