Silver Shark?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nytae

Reaction score
So I have two Bala Sharks.. Currently in a 100 litre fish tank. They are at current 3 - 4 inches long, and will be going into a new tank once it's finished cycling (700litre) :)

Anyhow.. One has got slightly larger than the other and they look like two completely different fish. One is silver, with black fins, the other is silver with a red chin/belly and red base tips on the fins oh and it has a darker colour on it in general

I have some pictures I will upload but they aren't very good, fast little buggers. Are these the same type of shark ?

One with the red fin

IMG_2625.jpg

And other one

IMG_2626.jpg

I don't have a water testing kit but went to a reputable aquatic centre and they tested it for me. Chlorine was 0, amonia was and he said "very little trace, it barely showed up" same with nitrate, he said it will be okay for adding new fish in.

All my other fish are fine, I have 5 danios, 3 mollies, 6 tetras and a suckerfish. All are perfectly fine

Forgot to add.

I do a 20% water change a week, plus a 5% or so top up every day as I have an open top fish tank. The tank was cycled using household ammonia and fish food for 8 weeks prior to adding any fish and the nitrate level hasn't gone above 2ppm since having any fish in it. I get it tested twice weekly

Nitrite was 0ppm

They look very much like the same shark to me, I would wait for a more experienced person on Bala's to comment though. I would suggest upping your number of bala's to a minimum of 6+ as they like to be in larger numbers. That's provided you have room for them all at adult size in your new 700ltr. Again, someone may be able to give you how many you could fit in the new tank.

They look the same to my eyes :) But just to advise; Bala sharks are very jumpy; literally. Having a tank without a lid is a bit risky... my shark has attempted to escape so many times over the years when I've been cleaning the tank out.

I've made my own top for it and just waiting on it for one more part which should be delivered tomorrow. Luckily neither of them have tried to escape as of yet :)

My friend has over 20 of them an hers are coming up to almost 2foot long!

I think it was the red twinges to it that threw me

I've made my own top for it and just waiting on it for one more part which should be delivered tomorrow. Luckily neither of them have tried to escape as of yet :)

My friend has over 20 of them an hers are coming up to almost 2foot long!

I think it was the red twinges to it that threw me

Over 20!!!!

I have to ask, what size tank, or sould I ask what size swimming pool?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but are you sure it's not just reflections from your gravel? If not, I'd be worried about bacterial infections.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but are you sure it's not just reflections from your gravel? If not, I'd be worried about bacterial infections.

Micko she has about 5 fish tanks :)

No it isn't a reflection, it looks like a skin colour if you know what I mean. Throughh googling people have suggested maybe amonia burning

I think he's dying :( keeps going upside down and isn't lively.

I've put him in a spare tank to himself until I can get some stuff for him

yeh they look the same. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELPPP ME! hi guys, ive got a 150 lt 3 ft tank and last week i bought 4 silver sharks. They are in the tank with other community fish. The sharks are all small, the biggest one being around 8 cm. The big one is fine eating flakes and also pelletes. The other 3 i have not seen go near the food (pelletes or flakes). 1 of the ones that doesnt eat 2 days ago started to swim on its back and spiral up the tank swimming on every side, it would go to the ground laying on its side and spiral back up to the top. It died that day. Now i have only 3 balas and the biggest one still eats and is plump, the other 2 are very skinny and are still not eating. PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS!

I used to have a few of these before I realised they need a huge tank to stop them being really jumpy and stop getting stressed.

Mine were very sensitive to water conditions, more so than neons ect and the black bits of there fins would always turn really light or turn red when the were unhappy.

I would test the water then look at taking these back as they are too big for a 3ft tank :no:

but there still only babies the biggest one being only 8 cm! I will get the water tested but i really dont want to let these sharks goooo there my favourite! :( :sad:

Most reactions

Back