silver dollars

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mostanks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Provide an aquarium of no less than 35 gallons for a small school.
this is a quote from AqCentral species profile section,does everyone agree w/this statement.coz i thought a school of five in my 90g would be to much.
any input would be great.

a shoal of 6 in this size tank they grow 4 - 6inch . they like there water warm. up to 82f also best to have plastic plants they like to eat real
plants :lol: they are anice fish , oh and good filteratidn, :thumbs:

thanx for the input B)
i do have some exp w/these fish but what i really would like to hear from you guys/gals is your opinions on the statement,would you say 5 silver dollar (adults)in a 35g tank is ok. :fun:

Ok,
since you asked...here goes:

IMO no more than 2 in a 35 gallon. Silver dollars, given their round discus like shape need room to grow...as do any fish.

Silver dollars can attain a size of 6-8". If you are considering the red hook (one of my favorites) these can also get to 8".

I just don't buy cramming them into a 3ft tank.

exactly :D
CM- how many would be ok in my 90g w/these fish
1-gt
1 carpente
2 p.senegalus(birchir)
2 pictus cats
1 ropefish
and a few misc cats (all stay under 4"s)

Most, here is what my wife did.

She had EIGHTY fish in her 90gal, six of them were Silver Dollars. She kept the temp at 82 degrees, lots of plants, fed like crazy,(three times a day), and in a year, her Dollars were six inches long at least.

Unfortunately, her Dollars died in the move we did due to a broken thermometer incident,(mercury is poisonous, imagine that!), so she got four more. This time she put them in her 65gal, in two years, they are only four inches long, and are only housed with about a dozen other fish. I think the Dollars really need as much length of tank as possible to swim in. They are some of the most active swimmers I have ever had. My 65gal is only three feet, a foot shorter than the 90gal, I think this makes a big difference.

eighty fish lol :crazy: most of those must have been neons huh :lol:
thanx for the reply,the more i think about them the more i want to get some,i had 6 that i bought,they were about the size of a :unsure: silver dollar lol (about 1 1/2"s or maybe bigger)and i totally forgot about my goby's uh appetite :S and he ate them.so i've decided to give him away (for credit only).and maybe get some more silver dollars.still not sure though,oh well thanx again.

I can't remember exactly, But I believe it was a dozen neons, 18 platys, 6 cherry barbs, 6 tiger barbs,(mistake), eight gouramis, 6 black phantoms, 6 mollies, 4 catfish, two chinese algae eaters, two plecos, and a few others I can't think of. All put in at once, what chaos... :lol:

I have a pair of dollars in a small hexagonal tank (app 24x15( galls please?)). I am about to get a vision 180 and hoping they will be happier as they are continuously trying to kump out of the tank and bruise easily.
My lfs told me they would be ok in there but they are probably distresssed living in such a cramped location. I thought a 3' run would be ok for them. In the year I have had them they have grown from 'solver dollar' size to about 4". Lovely characters I feed them catfish pellet food, flakes, any guppy fry :) and the odd bit of cucumber. I have just posted a q about their rhythmic swimming together - breeding perchance?

Andi, I am gonna guess you hex is approximately 15 gallons.

And the silver dollars, that is the way they swim. They love to swim together, back and forth. That is why they were cramped for space in your hex.

They still are cramped :( , but since I found this forum have started talking to them again, they are much happier now :blush: . Is this normal?

"ok babies, daddy's coming"

Andi,
Just a brief note...Silver dollars should really be fed a veggie diet. It would be ok to give a meaty protein treat now and again, but their main diet is veggies.

The cucumber is ok, but romain lettuce, peas, zucchini (sp?) and the like is a lot better for them.

You should stay away from the catfish pellets unless the main ingrediant is veggie matter or spirulina.

HTH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back