Sick Tiger Barb

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Moe

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi I have 4 tiger barbs, the green one has been pointing head down in the same spot for the last 2 days, he won't eat, he has turned almost black and his tail looks ragged. The tiger barbs frequently swim head down after feeding but never for this long. Does anyone know what could be wrong with him and second do I have to treat the whole tank or should I put him in a small 2.5 gal and treat him there?
Info:
20G tank 4 tiger barbs, 3 guppies, 1 red tail shark, 1 bristle nose catfish, we just added 6 card. Tetras on Wed. Water: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, water temp 78. I put some melafix in the tank yesterday so far it hasn’t helped.

Is he having a swimbladder malfunctioning?

Edit: checked on my book, if it's swimbladder disease, the cause could be the result of (repeated) lateral ramming by an aggressor; or from pressure on the swimbladder caused by eg. Tumours, constipation, or dropsy.

Loss or absence or buoyancy is a common symptom in the later stages of many other diseases, and (temporarily) in cases of shock.

None of the other fish have been bothering him. He does not seem to have a buoyancy problem as he is able to maintain his position in the water. His tail is all frayed and he looks like he is breathing really hard are those also symptoms of swim bladder? If it is swimbladder what do I do?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...test your water then post the paramaters.

I did test my water the results of all the tests I have were in my 1st post.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
ph 7.2
I don'h have any other tests.

Sorry didnt notice the results in the last post (heavy night last night ;)

Hmmm maybe you should test for nitrates as well

I really believe that your barb is being nipped by your others, even if you don't see it. Whenever one of my tigers got sick, the others always attacked him during the night, though I would see them bite his tail during the day some too. So the tail fraying is probably due to some nipping. Tiger barbs will often pick on a sick member, as I discovered from previous experiences. To prevent this, isolate him if possible, since it is probably causing him more stress, which could lead to death. I really can't give you a diagnosis, but I would definitely suggest getting him away from the other fish.

I think juliethegr8t's post was 100% right on the money. I'd get him in a hospital tank and see if he can get better.

I can put him in a hospital tank but what do I treat him with???????

I would suggest a salt treatment (1 tablespoon per 18.9Litre) using aquarium salt. Usually u'll see the fin growing back quick. Wait n see if he has any improvements or any other signs of illness.

RIP
Green Tiger Barb 08/17/03
He was a good fish and loved by all.
:-(

Most reactions

Back