April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Robder

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a sick golden pleco on my hands.

I've been monitoring the tank closer than usual of late as I'm in the middle of a bacterial bloom. I'm told that generally speaking, this is a healthy thing and not too much to worry about.

I've not done any water changes this week as I want the bacteria to run it's course (it's got really cloudy since the last water change which only fed the bacteria so lesson learned!).

I've got a couple of fish in there at the mo, one of which is a normally very shy, gold nugget pleco. Previously, this little guy had boundless energy and would bolt at the first sign of any humans. Today however, the colours are looking very dim and it's positioned at the front of the tank not moving much.

I'm carrying out frequent water tests. Today I have an ammonia reading of 0.5. Nitrites are 0 and nitrates are around the 5.0 mark.

What to do about this ammonia reading given that I have a bacterial party happening? And any tips on this poor ill fish?

Thanks!

Attachments

• D23B74B1-6F22-4E2D-B59C-20FAF344B268.JPG
    D23B74B1-6F22-4E2D-B59C-20FAF344B268.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 25
  • C5BC91D8-C4FF-485E-A2C9-9505FB1F29B7.JPG
    C5BC91D8-C4FF-485E-A2C9-9505FB1F29B7.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 21
Since when is it cycling ?
Interesting, thanks. It's been cycled for months and the nitrate reading has always been fine.
Does an algae bloom need treating differently? Any advice on this?
Thanks!

The ammonia reading suggests there is something wrong with the cycle. I think you'd better do daily waterchanges to save your pleco.

Algaebloom often is triggered by an unbalance in food (overfeeding) and lighting. There will be other members that can help you better with the sollution.
UV could solve algae bloom as far as I know

Appreciated thanks. :)

I've done loads of reading and was under the impression that a bacterial bloom is normal for a relatively new tank and isn't even necessarily a bad sign - just that it'll disappear on its own and fresh tap water will only feed the bloom.

On your advice, I'm now doing a water change asap - so cheers!

I've definitely not been overfeeding but the light is particularly strong in these Juwel tanks so I might put it on for shorter periods.

Beyond that, I've no clue why this has happened. :dunno:

First, again, this is not a bacterial bloom, it is green water which is caused by unicellular algae reproducing very rapidly (for some reason). As already mentioned, light and nutrients factor in.

Water changes should help with green water if you do a thorough clean of the substrate, keep the filter clean, and donot feed more than minimal. These things reduce the organics/nutrients that feed the algae. But light is also a factor and a major one with this problem. Reducing the duration is simple, and may, in balance with the aforementioned, solve the problem. The ight may need to be reduced in intensity if the issue is not helped/solved.

On the light, the tank light must be on for one continuous period each 24 hours, whatever period that might be. Do not turn the light on, then off, then on, then off, etc...this is stressful on fish and is not going to do much good anyway. Some floating plants may help as they use more nutrients and shade the light.

As another member mentioned, UV usually works with green algae, but it is expensive and you should be able to clear this up naturally.

First, again, this is not a bacterial bloom, it is green water which is caused by unicellular algae reproducing very rapidly (for some reason). As already mentioned, light and nutrients factor in.

Water changes should help with green water if you do a thorough clean of the substrate, keep the filter clean, and donot feed more than minimal. These things reduce the organics/nutrients that feed the algae. But light is also a factor and a major one with this problem. Reducing the duration is simple, and may, in balance with the aforementioned, solve the problem. The ight may need to be reduced in intensity if the issue is not helped/solved.

On the light, the tank light must be on for one continuous period each 24 hours, whatever period that might be. Do not turn the light on, then off, then on, then off, etc...this is stressful on fish and is not going to do much good anyway. Some floating plants may help as they use more nutrients and shade the light.

As another member mentioned, UV usually works with green algae, but it is expensive and you should be able to clear this up naturally.
This forum is amazing - thanks all.

Hi,

Checking in again...

50% water change yesterday, although having looked into it, would 10% a day be better?

A more healthy test reading today.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5.0

Lighting on for 4 hours per day.

Cleaned the upper stages of the filter and replaced the wool.

How am I doing so far?

The test numbers are fine. A photo of the tank will allow us to see the cloudiness issue.

Today's update - still only putting light in the tank for 4 hours a day.

Current reading:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20

I can see in the tank now so I guess that's progress of sorts?

:)

67663A05-C4F5-4300-9ADA-940CF199C424.JPG

Not easy to tell, but it looks like some of the algae is on the tank glass. If so, this should be scraped off and then sucked out with a water change.

Way better now. Thanks for input all - much appreciated!

Question:

I've reduced the light from 3pm to 9pm only and the tank isn't in direct sunlight. There aren't that many fish in there yet either.

However, I'm still noticing that by the end of a 7-day stretch, the water looks significantly greener and more misty again. Is this normal? Seems very quick!

I'm staying on top of it by doing weekly 30% water changes - let me know if this is too excessive!

:)

9034D94F-2B77-4AB0-922E-2DE112BF3772.JPG

They're very realistic looking, fake rocks (plastic). So I'm pleased you said this! :)

Most reactions

Back