sick peacock gudgeon since xmas day

guppy78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi, ive posted about said sick fish on here recently, but theres still no change to her condition, ive had her in a breeding cage since xmas day, just took her out today and gave her her first epsom salt bath in which she just sat at the bottom of the gallon bucket for 30 mins, i tried fasting for 3 days first, then tried cooked frozen peas which she didnt attempt to eat, she was on dose 3/4 swim bladder meds, 3rd was due today but i didnt put it in the tank, maybes been paranoid but im pretty sure all my healthy fish didnt like that stuff : /

as you can see in the photo she just kinda props her head onto something and lays there all day, she did the same in the cage, besides that her top and bottom fins are always fully extended like she always did if any other fish got too close to her, she actively looks for food and when she does move, shes top heavy like her tail is always at a 120 degree angle but i noticed today she kinda slowly span in a barrel roll then got her barings again, besides swim bladder disease can anyone think of what else is could be? could it be an accidental injury when i did a water change etc

shall i give her her 3rd dose on interpets swimbladder meds and finish the course next wed?

current tank readings are (just finished a 50% water change though)

GH 140
KH 40
PH 7.0
No2 0
No3 0
its a 110 litre tank 80x35x40cm

really hope shes gets back to being herself soon

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 79
just looked to see where she was after this post and saw her here resting on the heater suction cup then 2 minutes later totally upright

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
It does sound like swim bladder but I've never had to treat it. Maybe continue the medication in a quarantine tank so it doesn't effect the others? Hope she recovers.

yeah i have my old 10 gallon tank i had on hand for emergancys but i dont have a heater for it, and it gets pretty cold here throughout the night, ill order a small heater tomorrow and get it set back up, just dunno wether to dose the 3rd meds and risk making my healthy fish from getting more stressed or not atm :s

there is no medication to treat swim bladder problems. so if a shop is selling you stuff to specifically treat swim bladder problems, they are ripping you off.

cheers colin, ive been thinking that lately too, ill dose the last treatment today to finish the course but theres hardlys any difference to her still, once i let her out the breeding cage on sunday night my other peacock (the younger one) really started to attack her pretty dam viciously, swimming up along side her and tail whipping her hard sending her into a spin, never witnessed that violent behaviour before as they always got on well, guess she knew she was weak and took advantage of becoming the alpha or something so i put the cage back into the tank and put the aggressive one in this time where she still remains.

so is there no hope for the sick fish? ive been wondering how often you can give a fish epsom salt baths? unless theres no real point etc

besides her swimming she does seem healthy and ok

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back