Sick Neon Tetra

Stephan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
518741d1.jpg

Noticed he wasn't glowing and on closer inspection looks like some kind of fungus on him. Any ideas what it is and how to treat?

I've had fish die before but this is really my first sick one.

Neons are not that hardy, nor expensive. I would euthanize the fish and hope other fishes did not show similar symptoms.
Could be columnaris,Neon Tetra disease,or bacterial infection.
Unless I wished to spend the money on medicating, and had a quarantine tank set up to do so, I would remove/euthanize but that's just me.

roadmaster, should you be euthanised when you have a cold? No, euthanasia is only for those who are suffering and can not be cured.

Stephan, water parameters, setup information, maintenance schedule?

It does look like fungus, and it also looks bad enough to warrant medication. I recommend eSHa 2000, which is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal medication.. it is also the only one which I have found to work reliably and it does not kill the filter. If you can not do medication before tomorrow, I recommend a large (50%) water change with dechlorinated and temperature matched water today (vacuum gravel and clean filter in old tank water, while you're at it).

They are in a 55 gal but actually just moved Sunday from my 30. Ammonia nitrites 0 nitrates about 80. Did a 50% water change the day before noticed. I can do another large water change. Is it possibly the stress of being moved? So it's not apparently NTD right?

It is safe to do a water change again, but it probably won't help much if you did one recently; I think you need to treat with medication.

No, it doesn't look like neon tetra disease.. that doesn't come in furry or looking quite like that, as far as I am aware.

Haven't medicated. In a breeder net in another tank. Still alive butnot better. I'm gonna try to go get meds tomorrow.

Breeder nets are very stressful environments for fish, especially ill fish.

Why would he be stressed? He's small. Where would be the best place to put him?

Because it is exposed, it has no where to hide, it has no space to move, it has none of his own kind to make it feel secure. For example, breeding nets are sometimes used to give an aggressive fishs' ego a kick by making it feel insecure, if you do that to a non-aggressive fish like a neon, it is likely to lead to poor health.

The best place for it is with its own kind or in a quarantine tank with plenty of plants (aka hiding places).

i reallr wouldnt waste time curing it.
after you 'put it to sleep' pick up a bottle of Pimafix and Melafix at petco

remove any carbon in your filter( if you have any ) treat your whole tank with a multi cure additive wich will treat white spot fungus and any other diseases that would be best. :good:

But the only media I have in the filter has carbon in it. As of now he died. None of the others seem to have it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back