Sick Mickey Mouse Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ravekiss

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Its been a while since my male mickey mouse platy would be hiding in a corner all by himself. First I thought he was lonely since he ws the only platy in the tank so I bought him a female. He still acted the same, but he comes out to eat and eats like a pig too! I checked him back then for any signs of disease but nothing. Yesterday however I noticed some white fungus like cotton growth on his tail. I've attached pictures. He still swam about and ate. This morning he didnt come up to eat he was lying on the gravel tilted on his side. I'm getting really worried now. Please advise me what to do. The only isolation tank I have is a 1g without filter and heater.

See more pictures here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v260/ravekiss/Platy/

PS. Water levels are good...all other fish are good.

Attachments

• P1010357.JPG
    P1010357.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 485
I don't see anything on the tail but his body looks like it has pale patches. Is this the "fungus"?

That might be another problem...if you follow the link to photobucket you can see the white cottony stuff on his tail.

Look at the body it look's pale to me as well, i thinking at the mement columnaris, on the body does it look abit fluffy.

Does it look abit fluiffy on the body to.

I looked at the pictures and it is definnatly fungas. Do not use a hospital tank with this disease as all of the fish in your tank have been exposed to it. Treat the hole tank as to prevent the fungas from taking over. Good luck and I hope you don't loose anyone.

How do I treat? I dont think I'll be able to go down to the lfs...here are medications that I have on hand at the moment...Melafix, Pimafix, Maracyn 2 & Fungas Care Capsules (Aquarium Pharm) along with Aquarium Salt. What should I use?

On the medications they usually have or come with discriptions of what they cure. I am not positive but I would use the Fungas Care because it is a more specialized form of medication. Medicines that cure a wide range of diseases are not as effective and take longer to cure the disease.

So I'll treat the whole tank with the fungas care or maracyn 2. I have 15 newborn to 1 month old fry in a breeder in there though...would it harm them?

I don't know if it would harm them but if they are in the same tank they are exposed to the disease. Take a chance. If you don't you might loose them anyway.

When I got home last night he had died...:-( That was pretty fast. I didnt get a chance to treat him. Should I still treat the tank? The other fish seem normal but I'll keep a close eye on them.

Sorry For Your Loss!

Just keep a good eye on the rest of your friends if you notice any little thing starting to go wrong treat the hole tank. Make sure you remove the carbon filter first if you are using one. Once the treatment is finished replace the carbon as it takes care of anything that is left.

Hope you do not have any more truble.

Most reactions

trending

Back