Sick Little Cory; Help Needed.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

puppyduck

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok. Before I start, please don't anyone post with "your fish is going to die. Kill it before it infects your other fish". I will not be doing so as I've had several misdiagnoses on here before. Fortunately I didn't take advice and kill my fish.

Right then.

My little Yoshi, a male sterbai corydoras, all of a sudden exhibited symptoms of a swimbladder problem. He was perfectly fine and very healthy and happy, even occasionally doing the sexy dance with female sterbai, Henry. However, saturday morning he was lying at a funny angle, and by saturday evening we found him unable to swim properly.

How is it possible for a swimbladder problem to develop over a matter of hours, and to even suddenlycome on as quick as it did.

We have had a glass catfish with a swimbladder problem who sadly died, but his problem developed over months rather than minutes and hours.

What may have caused this problem?

Water parameters seem fine. No excess ammonia, nitrates or nitrites, temperature is good, filter is fairly clean. We have a bubble curtain/air stone/pump to increase aeration that was very recently altered (it had little to no air flow and no bubbles, but now has substantial bubbles)

I dont understand why he has suddenly deterriorated. He lies on his side a lot and although can swim fairly upright for a little bit, he has problems after swimming for a few seconds.

We are treating the tank with Interpet swimbladder treatment which we added last night. How long does this normally take to affect the sick fishy?

I am very upset and worried, especially as our fish only ever get sick when we are out leaving my room unattended (problems with a housemate and threats to kill the fish from his girlfriend have made me worried that he's done something to the tank).

I hope you can help me as I'm very upset about my poor little Yoshi.

Is he swimming on his side around the top?? Or just kinda of laying around the bottom on his side??

Swimbladder can be caused from overfeeding usually.

My only observation is that soon after you altered your bubble flow from the airstone this swimbladder problem developed. The swimbladder is to do with controlling the fishes position in the water by keeping a balance of liquid and dissolved gas particles. The increased air rate could have provoked this problem if your cory couldn't adapt to the changes.

Yoshi died monday. :(

I had another topic in the emergency forum. Didn't help him though. :(

:rip:

sorry to hear that puppyduck :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back