Sick infected Betta, what is best course of treatment?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cherryshrimp

Reaction score
My friend has sent me this picture of his Betta fish. Clearly very neglected and has a large fungal or bacterial infection along with bad fin rot. What is the best course here? He has the fish in a small 3 gallon "tank", I have an unused 7 gallon I could give him. What kind of medications would be used here at this point? I have Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Ich-X, and ParaCleanse (general cure). Thanks for any advice!

IMG_3324.jpeg

It doesn't look like fin rot and the white patch looks like something has popped out of the fish.

Any chance of some more pictures?

If you can put the fish in the bigger container and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 2 or 3 times a week for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks then stop using it.
When you do the water changes during salt treatment, add salt to the new water before adding it to the aquarium so the salt level remains stable.

It doesn't look like fin rot and the white patch looks like something has popped out of the fish.

Any chance of some more pictures?

If you can put the fish in the bigger container and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 2 or 3 times a week for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks then stop using it.
When you do the water changes during salt treatment, add salt to the new water before adding it to the aquarium so the salt level remains stable.

Thanks for your help Colin. I helped my buddy set up the 7 gallon and the betta has been in there with salt for 2 days now. Here is a pic of the wound today, hopefully you can say if it looks better or worse.

I mentioned fin rot because she was missing part of her fin, but it seems to have been torn off. It’s since regrown a lot in the last 2 days.

02D998B0-1E29-486C-848A-0B7D582CB7F0.png

If salt hasn't helped after a couple of days, then you might need a broad spectrum or an anti-fungal treatment.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back