Sick Guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Tetra Easy strips six in one
I also use the tetra 6 in 1 test strips. The only thing I have to fault them for is the fact that they donā€™t read for ammonia. I used an additional tester for this.

After browsing through my past threads on the forum I have found some information @Colin_T when I added salt into my tank due to my fish flashing. I only keep guppies myself I have 5 in a 10 gallon. Please see the below information from @Colin_T

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

----------------------------
I think you only have guppies in the tank. You should have added 4-8 heaped tablespoons of salt to the tank.
eg: 4 heaped tablespoons would be the low dose for guppy only tanks. 8 heaped tablespoons of salt for maximum salt levels in a guppy only tank.

Then add salt to the buckets of water whenever you do a water change. If you change half the water, you add 2-4 heaped tablespoons of salt to the buckets of water.
eg: if you are using the lower dose rate of salt in a guppy only tank, you add 2 heaped tablespoons of salt when you do a 50% water change.

eg: if you are using the maximum dose rate for a guppy only tank, you add 4 heaped tablespoons of salt when you change 50% of the water.

I also use the tetra 6 in 1 test strips. The only thing I have to fault them for is the fact that they donā€™t read for ammonia. I used an additional tester for this.

After browsing through my past threads on the forum I have found some information @Colin_T when I added salt into my tank due to my fish flashing. I only keep guppies myself I have 5 in a 10 gallon. Please see the below information from @Colin_T

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

----------------------------
I think you only have guppies in the tank. You should have added 4-8 heaped tablespoons of salt to the tank.
eg: 4 heaped tablespoons would be the low dose for guppy only tanks. 8 heaped tablespoons of salt for maximum salt levels in a guppy only tank.

Then add salt to the buckets of water whenever you do a water change. If you change half the water, you add 2-4 heaped tablespoons of salt to the buckets of water.
eg: if you are using the lower dose rate of salt in a guppy only tank, you add 2 heaped tablespoons of salt when you do a 50% water change.

eg: if you are using the maximum dose rate for a guppy only tank, you add 4 heaped tablespoons of salt when you change 50% of the water.

As of right now I do have only guppies. I did have guppies and Tetras. So if Iā€™m reading everything correctly I should add eight heaping teaspoons of aquarium salt to the tank now? (sorry if I sound stupid. Iā€™m just stressed about this. Iā€™m have PTSD end having dying fish is stressing me out :( )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

---------------------
If you can't work out the volume of water, measure the tank and post the sizes here.
Measure the length.
Measure the width.
Measure the height, but only measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

---------------------
If you can't work out the volume of water, measure the tank and post the sizes here.
Measure the length.
Measure the width.
Measure the height, but only measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

LOL ok I can handle that. Substrate info is good to know. Thanks

As of right now I do have only guppies. I did have guppies and Tetras. So if Iā€™m reading everything correctly I should add eight heaping teaspoons of aquarium salt to the tank now? (sorry if I sound stupid. Iā€™m just stressed about this. Iā€™m have PTSD end having dying fish is stressing me out :( )

I added 4 initially to my tank (it was a 10 gallon) not as big as yours. Then I slowly increased the dose. However, from what @Colin_T has stated above you could add 8 straight away.

You donā€™t sound silly at all, you should see how many thread I created when I first started. I didnā€™t know anything at all. I asked plenty of questions some of what I found silly too. But if you donā€™t ask you donā€™t learn.

Iā€™m positive we can sort this out, please try not to stress. You donā€™t need the extra worry on top of everything else.

Good luck.

Apologies, I forgot to clarify further. Salt should be added in with water changes, and not directly to the tank.

Apologies, I forgot to clarify further. Salt should be added in with water changes, and not directly to the tank.

OK so I need to change the water to add the salt then. How much water should I take it out forward/replace with the 8 tablespoons of aquarium salt which I now have.

I agree with bacterial infection. I would move the guppy to a Quarantine tank so he isnā€™t hassled by other fish and he may be contagious. One tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. Use water that is dechlorinated and the same temp as tank water. Good luck! Note: Be sure to dissolve aquarium salt in a little tank water before adding to tank or it will burn the fish. If you need meds after trying the salt, I recommend Kanaplex and Furan-2 used together according to directions. You can also use Spectogram which already has the 2 above mentioned meds in it. You will need to order it from American Aquarium Products online. Good luck!

I agree with bacterial infection. I would move the guppy to a Quarantine tank so he isnā€™t hassled by other fish and he may be contagious. One tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water. Use water that is dechlorinated and the same temp as tank water. Good luck!

Thank you! At this point I think this is the hospital tank. Itā€™s been sick since day one. Never getting my fish from Petco again. Ready to do the salt treatment. My only question now is how much water do I take out/replace with the 6 tablespoons of salt. Should I also add tetra safe to remove any chlorine from the water Iā€™m putting back in?

Thank you! At this point I think this is the hospital tank. Itā€™s been sick since day one. Never getting my fish from Petco again. Ready to do the salt treatment. My only question now is how much water do I take out/replace with the 6 tablespoons of salt. Should I also add tetra safe to remove any chlorine from the water Iā€™m putting back in?
Yes, always dechlorinate any water you put in. If you have a 5 gallon tank and you take 50% of the water out, then add 1/2 tablespoon of salt back in. If you have a 10G and you take 50% out, then add one tablespoon back in, etc. I hope this makes since. Initial dose is 1 tablespoon to each 5 gallons of dechlorinated water. Remember to match you water temp with water in tank. Dissolve the salt before pouring in the tank. Good luck. Please keep us posted!

So your tank is 30 Gallons, correct? Remove 80% of your water and use 5 tablespoons of salt. That should be about right.

Last edited:
So your tank is 30 Gallons, correct? Remove 80% of your water and use 5 teaspoons of salt. That should be about right.

80%? Wow! Ok! And teaspoon or tablespoon?

80%? Wow! Ok! And teaspoon or tablespoon?

Oops, sorry. It should have been tablespoons. The reason for the 80% w/c is to get any bacteria and nasties out of the tank. That way we know we are starting with clean water and salt.

Oops, sorry. It should have been tablespoons. The reason for the 80% w/c is to get any bacteria and nasties out of the tank. That way we know we are starting with clean water and salt.
Be sure to change about 75% of the water every couple of days. The clean water will heal it and the salt will disinfect it.

Wow thank you all! Ok I think I have it! My last question is the calculation of how much salt based on total volume of tank or how much is being replaced. I thought I got more out than I did but it turned out to be about Ā½ based on the 3 five gallons purified water I put back in. I thought for sure Iā€™d have to go get more. Iā€™ve added 5 tablespoons of dissolved aquarium salt. Steep learning curve. This is the 4th time in 30+ years Iā€™ve reestablished this same tank. Never before has it been challenging! Thanks for all your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back