Sick guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jessie J.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a group of five guppies and about a week ago, I suspected that they had tapeworm so I treated with API general cure (for tapeworm, gill flukes, etc.) and they all looked much better. They were pale, stayed at the surface, and had big bellies even though they hadn't given birth in a month. I didn't suspect tapeworm until a week ago.
But today I noticed that one of the guppies has the same symptoms, except she has reddened gills, stays in one place, etc. All of the others look bright and active. Should I treat for tapeworm again? It's the same female that looked the worst earlier.
Thank you.

Red gills is either a gill infection or ammonia irritation. Since the others seem fine, I'm leaning towards infection of some kind.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with medications at all, so I will leave this to someone with more experience treating diseases.

Fish with tapeworm or other intestinal worms (round/ thread) don't hang out by the surface.

Intestinal worms normally cause the fish to lose weight over time even tho the fish are eating well. In severe cases, fish that are heavily infested with intestinal worms can actually become fat and look pregnant. This is due to the massive number of worms in their digestive tract. After deworming these fish look really skinny but regain weight within a month or so of the treatment.

Praziquantel is used to treat tapeworm and gill flukes.
Levamisole is used to treat thread/ round worms that affect fish.

API General Cure contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole.
Metronidazole (Flagyl) is a medication normally used to treat internal bacterial or protozoan infections in people and might have wiped out your beneficial filter bacteria. You should check ammonia and nitrite levels whenever using this product, or whenever you get a sick fish.

Whenever you treat fish for intestinal worms (tapeworm or thread/ round worms) or gill flukes, you should treat once a week for 3 weeks. The 3 week program kills any baby worms or flukes that hatch from eggs in the tank or in the fish. If the water is cool, (eg: you are treating goldfish), continue treating once a week for 4 weeks. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 24-48 hours after treatment.

Praziquantel and Levamisole are both safe for all fish (including scaleless fishes), plants and filter bacteria, and can be used in fresh, brackish or salt water aquariums. You can mix them with food or just add the chemical to the tank and it dissolves in water. I usually do both, feed and add it to the tank.

------------------------
Gill flukes will cause fish to become pale due to the blood they suck out of the fish. The gill flukes damage the gills and reduce the surface area of the gills that are exposed to the water, making it harder for the fish to breath. Infected fish might hang around the surface or near a filter outlet to get more oxygen.

Praziquantel is the safest medication for gill flukes. The most common medication previously used was Trichlorphon (aka Dipterex) and is highly toxic to fish, birds and other animals and doesn't work well anymore due to excessive misuse over the last 40 years.

Salt can also be used to treat gill flukes. Use 2 heaped tablespoons or rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt per 20 litres. Keep the salt levels like this for at least 2 weeks and it should fix the problem. However, Praziquantel treats tapeworm too so is worth using on any new fish before they are added to a display tank.

------------------------
Red gills are usually caused by poor water quality or something toxic in the water. Check the water quality and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Increase aeration/ surface turbulence.

Fish going pale and gasping at the surface can be gill flukes, a fungal or bacterial infection on the gills or an internal bacterial/ protozoan infection.

Internal infections normally cause the fish to stop eating.
Bacterial and fungal infections on the gills are rare but do occur. The fish normally stop eating and die within a few days of this developing.
Gill flukes are the most common issue and the fish will continue to eat but lose condition and eventually suffocate.
Guppies also have issues in soft water with a GH below 200ppm and a pH below 7.0. And they are prone to external protozoan infections if the tank isn't kept clean.

I checked on my tank today and saw another fish with white, fungus-ey growths on the fins and body, and one of the eyes is clouded over. What should I do? What medications should I get?
All the fish are eating fine.

How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?

When was the last time you cleaned the filter and how did you clean it?

Have you tested the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH?
If yes, what were the results in numbers?

Post pictures of the sick fish that clearly show the problem.

... If in doubt, water change it out.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back