Sick fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

beach

Reaction score
My black guppy is sick I think. Is she dying? She has been like this for three days. She just floats around like this then swims a little, and she is lop sided when she does try to swim, she has tried to eat a little when I feed the other fish. Every time I think she is dead she swims some. She even comes to the top to try to eat but then seems to settle back to bottom for a while before she swims a little. Don't know what to do....

Attachments

• uJZExdjSRzWPdXBSCNV9SA.jpg
    uJZExdjSRzWPdXBSCNV9SA.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 54
It could be possible she is suffering from a swim bladder issue?

What is the tank size?
Tank Temp?
How often and how much do you feed?
What are her tank mates?

I believe swim bladder issues can be caused by stress or constipation/bloat/over feeding. If it is constipation/over feeding, then feed her a small bit of a peeled, boiled pea and feed less.

It is a 5 gallon with 4 other black guppies that she gave birth to. I have been feeding every other day and tank temp is about 78 degrees. When you say feed her a pea, you mean like a regular green pea?

It is a 5 gallon with 4 other black guppies that she gave birth to. I have been feeding every other day and tank temp is about 78 degrees. When you say feed her a pea, you mean like a regular green pea?
Not really the point, but a 5 gallon tank is far too small for any fish to live in. I'm assuming it's the tank in your profile photo, which is taller than wide, which is also not great.

Hm ok! Do you know how old she is? Guppy life span is about 2 years.

Yes, like a green pea

test the tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. If they are good (0 ammonia & nitrite, less than 20ppm nitrate, and pH above 7.0) then euthanise the fish and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.

If the water is not good, then do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day until the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0ppm.

test the tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. If they are good (0 ammonia & nitrite, less than 20ppm nitrate, and pH above 7.0) then euthanise the fish and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.

If the water is not good, then do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day until the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0ppm.
Tested water, all is good. I moved her to a"hospital tank" and will try the pea. I am not ready to give up on her yet!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back