Sick Dwarf Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Faith_16

Reaction score
Hi, all. I am relatively new to fish keeping. Iā€™ve had my powder blue dwarf gourami in a 10-gallon tank with three glo-fish tetras for about a year now with no real issues. Until now.

I noticed about a week ago that he was bloated, but I didnā€™t worry about it because he always bloats whenever stressed, (Usually the day after a 25% water change). I noticed yesterday that his scales are flayed outwards and he is missing some scales in one spot in particular. He still eats, just seems lethargic.

To provide context to tank care, I perform 25% water changes weekly. I have proper heating and filtration, use monthly Ph balancer, and check the ammonia levels weekly. Todayā€™s reading, following a 25% water change yesterday, is in the safe range.
Any advice on what might be causing this issue is appreciated. I will admit I donā€™t know a ton about aquarium care, just what Iā€™ve read online.

Attachments

• 10115BC1-504D-4580-8857-E7E957C6682A.jpeg
    10115BC1-504D-4580-8857-E7E957C6682A.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
hmm, i do not think that is usual... i dont know much about these labrynth fish though. he is probably haveing dropsy. pictures will help. do not use melafix if it is dropsy, i heard it can harm labryinth fish

If it is bloating up soon after a water change it does strike me that the W/C is the issue, probably from the ā€œPH balancerā€ product. What does the PH balancer do to your water?

It may be worth checking the pH before and after using the pH balancer as large pH swings are a source of stress.

If it is bloating up soon after a water change it does strike me that the W/C is the issue, probably from the ā€œPH balancerā€ product. What does the PH balancer do to your water?

It may be worth checking the pH before and after using the pH balancer as large pH swings are a source of stress.
i dont know about ph levelers.... i agree though

i dont know about ph levelers.... i agree though
Well, if for instance its a pH balancer that aims to make the water alkaline and his source water is acidic with a low KH level (a normal KH is responsible for holding the pH steady) the product will be causing a massive pH swing to alkaline.

It could be. Itā€™s a product that is supposed to be added monthly to keep pH at exactly 7. Iā€™ve been using it for about 3 months now. Itā€™s called ā€œEasy Balanceā€ and the bottle says itā€™s supposed to keep a regular pH and reduce water pollutants.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of his scale loss:

Attachments

• BEE729CB-4428-4B24-9EE8-C4247A62F173.jpeg
    BEE729CB-4428-4B24-9EE8-C4247A62F173.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 31
If the fish is still eating I would just discontinue using the pH balancer and up the water changes to something like 40% weekly in order to remove toxins and the pH balancer that might be causing a reaction. Fish do lose scales on occasion so just make sure the area where the scales have detached from donā€™t become ulcerated, red, sore or develop white growths.

I currently have a golden rudd in my pond that bloats up. On putting into a immaculate tank with fresh water it loses the bloating. Thus my experience is that bloating is to do with water quality interacting with the fish.

If the fish is bloated and not eating you would need to treat the tank with an anti-bacterial treatment coupled with aquarium salt treatment of 2 tsp per gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back