Sick Dragon Fish/violet Goby?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KGrey

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here but before I post in the introductions section I have a sort of emergency question about my fish.

I've had two violet gobies, a.k.a. dragon fish for about 6 weeks now. I bought them from Walmart and wasn't sure if they would even survive the night considering the conditions the store kept them in but they did and have been really healthy until last night.

For a few weeks I noticed that one of my gobies would lay on its side or upside down at the bottom of the tank. Eventually it would right itself and seemed to recover. I read that sometimes fish will behave that way if they've overeaten and are constipated so I held off on feeding it for a day until I noticed that it had produced some waste. I fed both of my gobies yesterday afternoon and they were perfectly fine and pretty active. Later in the evening though I found the one goby laying on its side at the bottom of the tank again but this time it was dead.

I've also noticed that my other goby seems to have a dark pink tinge around its gill slit, pelvic and anal fins. I'm not sure what's going on with my fish or why one of them died.

The tank that the surviving goby is in right now is 10 gallons. The temperature is kept around 77° F (25° C) with a salinity of 1.008.

Does anyone know what could have caused one goby to die and why the other has the pink tinge to its fins? It seems healthy otherwise but I don't want it to suddenly die too. I really appreciate any feedback.

Can you get your water tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Nearly all fish problems turn out to be water quality related, so you need to get that tested as a matter of urgency.

If you don't have tests of your own (which you should have; they're a vital part of all fishkeeper's equipment), you can get your local fish shop (LFS) to do it for you; most places will do water tests, either free or for a nominal fee. If you do get a shop to test it for you, you must get them to write the actual numbers down; don't let them say, "it's fine" or, "a little high".

Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish? How big and ho frequent are your water changes? What are you feeding?

Hi
welcomeani.gif
to TFF, on top of what flutter said, how large are they? These are carnivorous fish so they are messy and will add a lot of ammonia, especially in a 10 gallon. Generally when these fish are full grown they should go in a 55 gallon tank. if they are still very young at about 2-3" then you should be fine in the 10 gallon for now.

Another thing is if you have any other good fish stores by you go there, dont buy fish from walmart because that means they will buy more and kill more.

sawickib said:
Hi :hi: to TFF, on top of what flutter said, how large are they? These are carnivorous fish so they are messy and will add a lot of ammonia, especially in a 10 gallon. Generally when these fish are full grown they should go in a 55 gallon tank. if they are still very young at about 2-3" then you should be fine in the 10 gallon for now.

Another thing is if you have any other good fish stores by you go there, dont buy fish from walmart because that means they will buy more and kill more.
They're not that carnivorous in terms of voracity. They are better off called as bottom scavengers like cories but only differs that they can gobble up bigger food particles.

Now regarding salinity, was that the same reading as walmart has been keeping them in?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back