Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can anyone give me advice?????
I have a 4 foot tank
ph 6.8
nitrit 0
fluval internal filter

Purchased 4 2.5 discus and 2 4.5 discus
1 of the small ones died 2 days ago the other small one, which is a blue diamond has gone black and has got clamped fins. The other small one is swimming at an angle.
Changing water every week, 50%
I know that after i did the water change the nitrit when to 0.5, but i have purchased some denitrole live bacteria from jbl.
Can anyone give me any ideas
Thanks
Dean

If you have a nitrite reading that could explain alot, are they laboured breathing, plus are you running and airstone for aeration, how long has the tank been set up, what fluval filter is it, plus is the black on the fish all over or just in patches.

If you have a nitrite reading that could explain alot, are they laboured breathing, plus are you running and airstone for aeration, how long has the tank been set up, what fluval filter is it, plus is the black on the fish all over or just in patches.

a bit laboured breathing.
there is an airstone in the tank
the tank has been set up for about 2 months
the fish is totally dark, the other small blue diamond is fine
mod 4 fluval internal filter

Right i would preform a water change to get the nitrites down, the laboured breathing is through poor water quality, and the blackness could be due to ammonia burns, not the writer of this information below.
Black Patches

Symptoms:

Black patches, smudges, smears, spots or markings that suddenly appear and are not natural colorings.

Cause:

These markings are the result of skin cell damage. Black markings often appear in areas where the skin has been damaged by ammonia burns, bacterial infections, parasitic infestations, and injuries. These markings are often seen on fish just after a new tank has completed “cycling,” due to the high ammonia levels. These marks are also common in African Cichlids, especially around the mouth. These are scabs that have come from digging in the gravel or from fighting.

Treatment:

No treatment is necessary. Much like scabs, the blackened areas are a sign that the healing process has already begun. Keep water in top condition and the areas will gradually fade in less than a couple of weeks.

The whole fish has gone dark in colour so its not any kind of patches.
How can the 3 fish in the tank be fine except for the other two?
Strange,
dont you think it could be an internal problem or the shock from the last water change i did???

When fish change colour like going dark it can mean a numbers of thing, aggression even breeding, is he being harassed by any fish.

When fish change colour like going dark it can mean a numbers of thing, aggression even breeding, is he being harassed by any fish.

Not that i have seen
the fishes fins are clamped down

Any signs of laboured breathing, flicking and rubbing against objects.

Please read this to see what you think, not the writer of this information below.

Discus Plague

Symptoms:

This disease is most often observed in discus, angels, uarus, severums and oscars. Fishes infected with Discus Plague will lose their natural coloring, turn dark, and become reclusive, huddling together in a dark corner of the tank. Heavy mucus secretions on the skin, accompanied by severe fin rot, scratching or rubbing against objects in the aquarium, and rapid breathing are also characteristic symptoms of Discus Plague. Upon close examination, the fins of sick fish may exhibit clear, non-pigmented areas where the tissue appears have dissolved. The mucus layer will also appear streaky where the fish has been rubbing against objects. Even though infected fishes appear to be very sick, they continue to eat, although sparingly. When feeding, they move in a tight school to the food, and retreat together to a dark corner. Some fish may even lie horizontally on the top or bottom of the tank, trying to hide in the merest shadow!

Cause:

Due to a bacterial infestation from any or all of the following bacteria: Hexamitiases, Pseudomonas, Streptococcus, Chondrococcus columnares and Aeromonas. This disease is typically introduced into an aquarium by a new fish, plants, decorations, or live food. The carrier is usually not a sick fish, but rather a healthy fish or plant from a tank which harbored the disease in the past. Fish will begin to display the symptoms described above within 3 to 5 days after exposure. Mature adult fish appear to suffer the most severe symptoms, often dying within the first few days of the disease.

Treatment:

Effective medications include the antibiotics Chloramphenicol, Tetracycline, Oxytetracycline or Gentomycin. These will quickly arrest the fin deterioration as well as reduce the mucous production on the skin. These drugs will not, however, cause sick fish to immediately regain their natural color or cease any "huddling" behavior. Within 7-21 days, however, these symptoms vanish and your fish will reappear at the front of the tank, looking for food.

Concurrent treatment with oxidizing agents, like Potassium Permanganate, will help to keep the bacterial count down (which will aid your fish in its natural fight against the infestation). Controlling the temperature of your aquarium has also proven to be effective in the treatment of Discus Plague. Try to keep the temperature of your aquarium or hospital tank in the 85-90 F range, if your fish can handle it. A low pH (5.5 - 6.5) may also prove helpful as some bacterial species are not able to withstand an acidic environment.

I noticed that they have been rubbing themselves abit, the symptons sound like the article.
I only bought the fish 2 weeks of a website??
I have emailed the person and explained the problem, waiting for a reply

Hoping it wasn't, whats your location as antibiotics are only available in the uk from vets.

Hoping it wasn't, whats your location as antibiotics are only available in the uk from vets.
the fish cost me £15 each, not worth going to the vet
i will wait to see what the guy says

I no, poor things, he might give you your money back if your'e lucky, as they tend to no how to wriggle out of things, let us all no how you go on, good luck.

I had that problem with one of my discus. I think it is stressed and also you may want to check your temperature. I was keeping my discus at 82 but now that I have turned up the temp to 84 they seem much better.

I had that problem with one of my discus. I think it is stressed and also you may want to check your temperature. I was keeping my discus at 82 but now that I have turned up the temp to 84 they seem much better.

I might try the temp thing.
The person who sold the fish said to keep the temp at 82
merry xmas to all

I might try the temp thing.
The person who sold the fish said to keep the temp at 82
merry xmas to all

If you just bought the fish that might exsplain a lot,

1 stress of moving.
2 difrence in PH between your tank and your dealers
3 temp of your water 28'C to 30'C (82 to 86'F)
4 hexamita is a possability, eSHa do a broad spectrum antibiotic, which can help in the early stages, you can get it from your lfs.
5 the flicking and rubbing can be symptoms of nitrite.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back