Sick cherry barb ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ryan_F

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Had her for over a year, struggling to swim, she has her head pointing vertically.
Parameters are good, all other fish are fine.
What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the fish have a tendency to sink when not swimming or look suddenly a bit skinnier than normal? It sounds like it could be a problem with the swim bladder, which is what helps the fish float. Do you see any other signs of distress in the fish, like red streaks or discoloration?

In the distant past I had a couple of fish where the swim bladder seemed to actually collapse; one was a guppy and the other was a goldfish. Both suddenly got a little skinnier-looking when it set in, sank unless they swam, and pointed up when they did swim. Neither had an infection, but neither recovered use of the swim bladder. In both cases they just had to put a bit more effort into swimming and spent more time resting on the bottom. However, there are also other ways the swim bladder can go wrong, such as due to infection or constipation, which can be treated and will produce a range of balance-related problems in fish.

Definitely sinks to the bottom, doesn’t seem to be skinner than others or discoloured
Can swim if she needs to but doesn’t swim too much
What should I do

Try not feeding the fish for a few days. You can either isolate it with a breeder basket for that or you can just fast the whole tank (fish are fine for quite a while without food). If it's digestive-related, then it might improve. If it doesn't improve and there are no signs of systemic infection, which typically manifests as red streaks on fins/body or loss of color, etc., then I don't know that there's a lot else that can be done.

Try not feeding the fish for a few days. You can either isolate it with a breeder basket for that or you can just fast the whole tank (fish are fine for quite a while without food). If it's digestive-related, then it might improve. If it doesn't improve and there are no signs of systemic infection, which typically manifests as red streaks on fins/body or loss of color, etc., then I don't know that there's a lot else that can be done.

Alright thank you. :) appreciate your help

Most reactions

trending

Back