Sick Bettas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Eutek

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here so I'm not sure how to use this. Hope someone can help!

I have 5 bettas and 3 of them (in a 10-gallon w/ a heater) has shredded fins. One of them just died (I was taking care of it for my niece) earlier today. I don't know what I should do, PLEASE HELP. I turned the heater down to 76f (it was 78 before) bc I thought it was too hot, but I think it's the water pH. The thing is when I clean their bowls/tanks every month my mom (and my aunt who also has a betta) scolds me telling me I clean it too much and to just leave it how it is. It's making me sad bc their fins used to be so beautiful & now they look terrible. Also, my angelfish died a few days ago but he didn't show any symptoms of illness (or I don't know angelfish well) so it's making me believe I'm a poor fish mom :sad:

Photos will help along with your water parameters like ammonia, Nitrites and nitrates.
Are they females or males and is the 10 gallon a divided tank?

All male. I have 2 1.5 gallon bowls that act as a "divider" in the middle, but the water on the opposite sides are connected. Also, I can't provide any photos rn. I use catappa leaves that turn the water brown (as it would be where bettas live) and supposedly help with the ammonia.

Do a 75% water change, using de-chlorinated water every day for a week and vacuum the gravel when you do this. Rinse the filter cartridges or sponges in the water you took out (don't replace them).

Clean fresh water is the best medicine for your fish. I suggest you ignore your family and do a 75% change every week. My dad also tells me I am crazy for doing this. He also used to keep fish. He does back down when I point out that I have close to 200 fish and almost no experience with illness or disease. To quote one of our other members "nobody ever claims their fish died because the water was too clean".

@seangee is spot on, clean water leads to healthy fish. I do a water change every week, moss balls and live plants will help too with water quality. When I had Betta I kept them in 5 gallon tanks which gives them plenty of room to swim and helps with the water quality. (the more water the better)

if your fish get sick, do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate. and post pictures

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back