Sick betta?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kelly Preussner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My daughter has had her betta for about 2 years now & the past few days he just lays on the bottom. He has not eaten in 3 days. He will occasionally dart to the top of the tank for air & then just lay somewhere. He doesn’t move even if you tap the tank. She is afraid he is sick & old & going to die. Any help is appreciated. He is in a 5 gal tank with a heater & filter (basic). Water changed regularly & 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, .5 nitrate & ph is around 7.6. This has all been the same for the past couple years. Nothing has changed. We do have hard water. I will attach a picture of him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 106
I think the life span of a betta is 2-3 years so he is probably just old. They rest a lot on the bottom when they get older.

I think the life span of a betta is 2-3 years so he is probably just old. They rest a lot on the bottom when they get older.
Mrsjoannh13 is right. The betta is likely just old. If you got him from a store like PetSmart or Petco, or even a local fish store, bettas are mass bread and sent off to them. This causes most of them to not be in the most pristine quality when we buy them and they don't often last long, unfortunately. If the fish is no longer eating, or moving when you stimulate it, it is likely not doing well and you might want to consider euthanasia. I am so very sorry about your betta and it is always hard to see your fish like this but it sounds like you gave this little guy a fantastic life. He was very lucky to have you. I don't see anything on your betta that would signal anything bad or life threatening to it, so it is likely old age. Once again, I am so sorry. Best wishes, Nele.

Thank you all for your replies. I have a 36 gal freshwater tank & we have had to clove some fish so we will consider that.

check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH

do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week and see if it helps.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back