Sick betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vbetta56

Reaction score
I previously posted about my betta with swim bladder and he hasnt gotten any better which had led me to thinking it could be something else im just worried and its been around a week he wont eat anything either i tried peas and he refused them.

Have you lowered the water level to make it easier for him to reach the surface? It can take a couple of weeks with fasting for a fish to heal itself of a swim bladder problem. Sometimes the swim bladder can be ruptured and the fish doesn't heal, I don't know if there's a way to cure it, but i do know that you can adjust the tank to make it easier for a disabled fish to see out it's life with a bit of comfort.

Have you lowered the water level to make it easier for him to reach the surface? It can take a couple of weeks with fasting for a fish to heal itself of a swim bladder problem. Sometimes the swim bladder can be ruptured and the fish doesn't heal, I don't know if there's a way to cure it, but i do know that you can adjust the tank to make it easier for a disabled fish to see out it's life with a bit of comfort.
No i havent how much should i lower it ??

No i havent how much should i lower it ??
Just so that the betta isn't struggling to reach the surface and that your heater is still submerged and filter able to work properly.

Could drill lots of holes in a small tub and submerge it with suction cups holding it to the glass inside the tank if you're unable to lower the water enough. Add some plants inside the tub to help the betta feel secure and make sure fresh water can flow in and out of it from the tank.

Should help to make the betta more comfortable as he heals. Hopefully while you're doing this a member with knowledge on treating a swim bladder problems will offer you advice.

Just so that the betta isn't struggling to reach the surface and that your heater is still submerged and filter able to work properly.

Could drill lots of holes in a small tub and submerge it with suction cups holding it to the glass inside the tank if you're unable to lower the water enough. Add some plants inside the tub to help the betta feel secure and make sure fresh water can flow in and out of it from the tank.

Should help to make the betta more comfortable as he heals. Hopefully while you're doing this a member with knowledge on treating a swim bladder problems will offer you advice.
Okay im draining it right now thank you

No worries, I haven't really provided a fix for you (sorry about that) but hopefully the betta will be a little more comfortable. Perhaps he needs some more time, maybe he needs meds, I'm not sure.

@Deanasue may know. I'm pretty sure that she's nursed a few bettas back to health and knows a few things on these sort of matters.

I hope it all works out, sorry I couldn't do much more

No worries, I haven't really provided a fix for you (sorry about that) but hopefully the betta will be a little more comfortable. Perhaps he needs some more time, maybe he needs meds, I'm not sure.

@Deanasue may know. I'm pretty sure that she's nursed a few bettas back to health and knows a few things on these sort of matters.

I hope it all works out, sorry I couldn't do much more
Thanks you were helpful so dont feel sorry about that im just worried its not low enough for him

Thanks you were helpful so dont feel sorry about that im just worried its not low enough for him
Depends how big the tank is. Either way, its better for him than it was before isn't it. If you have plants with big leaves for him to rest on, that'll help. Even submerging a big jar, upside down, could offer him a resting spot near the surface

Did we try any treatment last week such as epsom salt baths? I helped a few people out so please refresh my memory. :)

Depends how big the tank is. Either way, its better for him than it was before isn't it. If you have plants with big leaves for him to rest on, that'll help. Even submerging a big jar, upside down, could offer him a resting spot near the surface
I do have some big leaved plants but he cant swim up he's mostly stuck on the bottom

Lower the water down to about 4” if your filter will work still. I have a betta that can no longer swim much and I keep his water at about 6”. He has a floating betta log to float around in too. I have to drop feed right above him in the water so it sinks around him. That way he can still eat. He is beginning to come around some after about 3 months. I think he had a back injury of some type.

If you have tried fasting him and feeding peas with no improvement then it may be bacterial. Try a med that treats bacterial infection such as API Furan-2.

Lower the water down to about 4” if your filter will work still. I have a betta that can no longer swim much and I keep his water at about 6”. He has a floating betta log to float around in too. I have to drop feed right above him in the water so it sinks around him. That way he can still eat. He is beginning to come around some after about 3 months. I think he had a back injury of some type.
I made the water as low as i can for the filter to work and i have his log inside as well, do you have a recommendation of food that sinks well that could help

Most reactions

trending

Back