Sick Betta, White Spots- Fin rot???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Bettta

Reaction score
Hello! I have a double tail betta fish who has developed light spots on his fins, and his fins look very torn up. When I first noticed the fins starting to look jagged, I took all the silk plants out, and replaced them with live ones. Thereā€™s nothing sharp in the tank. The spots have been on his fins for over a month, and more have come up recently. It started when I moved, and the cycle in the tank broke. It took about 4 weeks to re-cycle. Heā€™s in a 2 gallon tank at the moment, kept at 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, pH 6.5, and I do a 25% water change when Nitrates reach 20. He still eats enthusiastically and swims up when Iā€˜m by the tank, but the rest of the time, he lays on the ground, which isnā€™t like him. Does anyone know what he has or how to fix it? Thank you!

Attachments

• 7B35C98D-8D16-4FAD-95B6-117A403A9749.jpeg
    7B35C98D-8D16-4FAD-95B6-117A403A9749.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 46
  • D9715B27-1463-4E1B-809B-77FA6846DF53.jpeg
    D9715B27-1463-4E1B-809B-77FA6846DF53.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 42
  • B1DC2079-E463-48F6-9490-AF619F81D498.jpeg
    B1DC2079-E463-48F6-9490-AF619F81D498.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 6E44A60C-6B5D-450B-AD38-1CABA94BCC63.jpeg
    6E44A60C-6B5D-450B-AD38-1CABA94BCC63.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 39F4499F-272A-4162-BBBA-F438B8E7B335.jpeg
    39F4499F-272A-4162-BBBA-F438B8E7B335.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 44
It could be calcium deposits in the fins, however, they don't normally have a uniform shape (round) and they don't normally grow rapidly.

It could be a parasite but isn't a normal fish disease.

I will go with possible calcium deposits but am open to other ideas if anyone has other ideas.

Do you know the GH and KH of the water?
Water with a high GH will be more likely to cause calcium deposits.

It could be calcium deposits in the fins, however, they don't normally have a uniform shape (round) and they don't normally grow rapidly.

It could be a parasite but isn't a normal fish disease.

I will go with possible calcium deposits but am open to other ideas if anyone has other ideas.

Do you know the GH and KH of the water?
Water with a high GH will be more likely to cause calcium deposits.
The GH is between 0 and 30, but closer to 0, and the KH is almost 0.

Hello! I have a double tail betta fish who has developed light spots on his fins, and his fins look very torn up. When I first noticed the fins starting to look jagged, I took all the silk plants out, and replaced them with live ones. Thereā€™s nothing sharp in the tank. The spots have been on his fins for over a month, and more have come up recently. It started when I moved, and the cycle in the tank broke. It took about 4 weeks to re-cycle. Heā€™s in a 2 gallon tank at the moment, kept at 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, pH 6.5, and I do a 25% water change when Nitrates reach 20. He still eats enthusiastically and swims up when Iā€˜m by the tank, but the rest of the time, he lays on the ground, which isnā€™t like him. Does anyone know what he has or how to fix it? Thank you!
(Stupid question alert) Did you cycle the tank?

(Stupid question alert) Did you cycle the tank?
Not a stupid question at all. It was cycled before I put the fish in, but the cycle broke when I moved. It took about 4 weeks to re-cycle, and has been cycling perfectly for about a month now. I did frequent water changes while it was re-cycling to keep the ammonia down. It stayed around .25 during that time, which is what I suspect caused whatever is happening.

Not a stupid question at all. It was cycled before I put the fish in, but the cycle broke when I moved. It took about 4 weeks to re-cycle, and has been cycling perfectly for about a month now. I did frequent water changes while it was re-cycling to keep the ammonia down. It stayed around .25 during that time, which is what I suspect caused whatever is happening.
Hmmm... Could be some bacterial infection... And I'm thinking it is some form of fin rot.

Hmmm... Could be some bacterial infection... And I'm thinking it is some form of fin rot.
I was thinking maybe a fin rot, but Iā€™ve never seen any like this. What would you recommend to treat it? It seems to be getting worse, even though the water has been perfect for a while. Iā€™ve seen many mixed things about Melafix, even with it diluted.

I actually have used mela-fix and it was working on my betta... The reason why he died though was due to me combining meds and not cycling... He also had ich... Some do not advise to use meds while in some instances its ok... I will not be the judge of that here and let someone more experienced give you some remedies and treatments...

I actually have used mela-fix and it was working on my betta... The reason why he died though was due to me combining meds and not cycling... He also had ich... Some do not advise to use meds while in some instances its ok... I will not be the judge of that here and let someone more experienced give you some remedies and treatments...
Okay, thank you for all your help! I appreciate it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back