sick betta fish help please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Erin Sweeney

Reaction score
805DE959-A1B8-49E1-8439-B25DEC573CEF.jpeg
63CCBAB3-442C-4853-AD9D-DB0318576461.jpeg
42BCD372-6E94-4D77-89B0-6EAF4B5DB1E8.jpeg
ive had my betta since september of 2018 in within the last month heā€™s completely change. heā€™s in a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. I had two live plants and one died so I took it out. I originally thought my fish had swim bladder so I tried to whole fasting it/ feeding it a pea and that didnā€™t work. he was sitting at the bottom of the tank and falling over. I have been using betta fix which is what petsmart recommended. last night I noticed him just sitting on the bottom of the tank and now has like red scales or a wound near his head. I put him in a smaller tank hoping it would make it easier for him to swim and get food but now heā€™s laying completely on his side and is flipping and flailing upside down. I feel bad if heā€™s dying because heā€™s suffering but I donā€™t know what else to do. iā€™ve tried taking pictures but itā€™s hard to see into the tank. iā€™ll try to post pictures but I really only have videos.

Put him back in his old tank and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Drop the water level down so it is about 4-6 inches. Make sure the filter and heater still work.

Don't use Melafix, Pimafix or Betafix on labyrinth fishes (Bettas & Gouramis), because it can leave an oily film on the surface and cause the fish to suffocate.

Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality or a dirty environment. The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth a read.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Put him back in his old tank and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Drop the water level down so it is about 4-6 inches. Make sure the filter and heater still work.

Don't use Melafix, Pimafix or Betafix on labyrinth fishes (Bettas & Gouramis), because it can leave an oily film on the surface and cause the fish to suffocate.

Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality or a dirty environment. The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth a read.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

How's he doing today Erin?

he seemed better this morning before I went to work and I came home to him dead :( I feel so bad

Iā€™m so sorry. @Erin Sweeney, In the future, please keep topics regarding the same issue in one post. It gets confusing when you double post the same issue. Thank you!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back