Sick angelfish - any advice welcome!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bdarke

Reaction score
Hi. I have a sick angelfish. I came home yesterday and I noticed he had a gash in his head. I did some research and I think it may be an abscess? He lives in an aquarium with other peaceful fish and another (female) angelfish. Both angelfish sometimes chase each other around the tank and they can be a little rough with each other however surely this is not caused by another fish?

I took him out of my community tank and put him into a quarantine tank (that I set up last night). I’ve done a partial water change today (about 10%) and have put some antibiotics (API Melafix Remedy 237) that I bought today.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if what I’m doing is correct or if there’s anything I should do differently.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 574E0EEF-A758-4C14-9E26-2365E6718FDA.jpeg
    574E0EEF-A758-4C14-9E26-2365E6718FDA.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 27
Plenty of clean water, which means lots of large water changes and more than 10%. It is possible that it was injured by some decor if the other angelfish was chasing it. Clean water will help stop infections getting in.

I'm not sure melafix will do much as it's not an antibiotic; it's tea tree (cajeput) oil, a mild antiseptic. It may help keep the wound clean, but that's all.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back