Sick Albino Cordydora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CeeBee123

Reaction score
Hi there, wondering if anyone can help. I inherited some fish and have had them for a few months… yesterday I noticed the Albino Cory Catfish has some red patches towards the end of her body (Google tells me it could be red spot disease). This morning she was lying on the bottom upside down but when I moved the plant she was lying beneath she swam away and rested right way up. I just checked on her again and she doesn’t not look good but is still breathing. I just don’t know what to do. I find looking after fish stressful and I feel so sad when they die. Is she at the end of her life? Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5124.jpeg
    IMG_5124.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 111
This article from the Corydoras authority Ian Fuller may help.

Red blotch is a condition not a disease, secondary infection can and will exacerbate the problem. The most common cause of this condition is a sudden deterioration of the water conditions, i.e. Ammonia, or more likely Nitrite spike. The condition may take 24 hours or a little longer to show in a fish, and in that time the filter system may well have over come it and the condition of the fish is spotted the water can and is often back to normal, but the damage has been done. The condition is not contagious, and each specimen within a group will have differing resistance to it.​
Red blotch condition needs to be treated as soon as it is spotted, as any delay will be fatal.. 1. Large water change at least 50% if not more. If kept in a species only tank I would recommend a 75%+ water change. 2. Full dose of Melafix. 3. Add extra air stone with fairly strong flow.​
It is also highly probable that this condition affects other armoured Catfishes groups, although I have neither experienced it or treated for it.​
Nitrite is also responsible for what is know as "Brown blood" again not a disease but a condition, and this is the result of a high level of exposure to Nitrite, which affects the blood ability to absorb oxygen. The gills of fish suffering with this condition will be a brownish colour, instead of a nice pinkish red. Sometimes this can be fatal, but generally if good water conditions are maintained, over time the fish will recover.​
Ian Fuller​

Most reactions

trending

Back