🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rdd1952

Swim with the Fishes
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Crossocheilus siamensis

Common Name: True Siamese Algae Eater

Family: Cyprinids

Origins: Southeast Asia, Thailand (formerly Siam, hence the name Siamese Algae Eater)

Maximum Size: 6"

Description: SAEs are slender grayish green/brown fish with a black stripe that extends from the tip of the nose/mouth all the way through the fork of the tail. Their fins are transparent to milky with no color to them. their underside is silver/white. The black stripe may fade if the fish is stressed or fighting.

Care: SAEs are very active, peaceful fish that do best in schools but they may be kept in pairs. They need a tank with lots of swimming room and plenty of plants. They love broad leaf plants which younger fish will lay on to rest. Older fish prefer to lie on the bottom or low plants. Mine also love to lie on the slate I have in my tank. Minimum tank size for an adult pair is 25 gallon.

They are very adaptable and can handle pH of 5.5 to 8.0 but ideal is 6.5 to 7.0. Water temperature should be 75-79F (24-26C). Tank should also have a good cover as they are said to be good jumpers although I have never seen mine try to jump.

Feeding: They eat most types of algae but will also accept flakes or other foods. Mine love shrimp pellets.

Sexing: The females are said to often be fatter than males but no other differences are known.

Breeding: SAEs have not been bred in captivity yet and are all wild caught.

Compatibility: SAEs are not aggressive and make great additions to any community tank that is large enough. Their active nature can stress some slow moving and sensitive fish. They will occasionally chase each other but they don't get hurt. They will not bother other tank mates. It is said that they should not be kept with Red-tailed Sharks as that species is very aggressive towards it's own species.

Comments: Their swim bladder isn't very developed so they can't stay in midwater. They must either stay in motion or sink. They also have a peculiar way of resting. They don't lie on their bellies but instead keep themselves propped on their tail, pelvic and pectoral fins. Mine seem to grow very fast in the first 6 months, going from about 3/4" to 1" up to about 3 or 4". In optimal conditions, it is said they can reach their full adult size in about 2 years but usually don't grow that fast or ever reach full size. They can live up to 10 years.

CAUTION: There are two other fish often sold as SAEs that you want to be aware of. Here is a brief description of them and how to tell them apart.
True Siamese Algae Eater: This is the fish I have. The black stripe runs from nose through the fork of the tail but is transparent in the tail. The edges of the stripe also zigzagged.
False Siamese Algae Eater: Extremely similar except the stripe starts at the eye and stops at the base of the tail, not extending through the fork. The edges of the stripe are also much smoother. These fish will eat some algae but not much. They can also be aggressive toward their own kind so there shouldn't be more than one adult False SAE in a tank.
Flying Fox: Once again, extremely similar. The stripe runs from the nose through the fork of the tail just like the True SAE except the stripe through the tail is much darker, broader and not transparent. They also have a much darker back and their fins have black markings too. They also are aggressive toward their own type and so only one adult per tank is best.

post-11229-1204678819.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back