Shy Gourami

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sandamarly

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi . Im haveing a little trouble with my 2 blue gourami :( .which i brought about 5weeks ago they are in a 100cm by 40cm by 40cm about 160litres with 2 bronze corydoras neon tetra glowlight tetras Guppies and 2 Honey gourami ( which are fine) .The tank is well planted and very good water qulaity :D but they are really shy allways hiding in the plants and only coming out when the lights are out are they alright. I'm really worried about them. Please help im sooooo worried :(

my two are the same, iv just aded a few more plants (wich my mollys think they are at an all u can eat buffet) but they still seem to be hiding...

can anyone help?

Dawn

Hi Sandamarly :)

I think what you are seeing is typical gourami behavior. :nod:

Contrary to what many people think, gouramis are often sedate fish, tending on the shy side. And, they are territorial. In a large tank, such as yours, they will find their favorite spot and stay there almost all of the time.

I recently turned my 55 gallon into a community tank again, and put my gouramis in there. There are 2 adult female pearls, a pair of adult blues and 9 young blues (about half grown.) The 4 adults stay in a group, near the top, on the left side of the tank while the youngsters swim everywhere. Every now and then the blue male lunges at the female blue and she swims away--about 3 to 5 inches away! That is the extent of their activity these days. -_-

In the 20 gallon, where they were, the male was more protective of his space and he would chase his mate across the tank and into the plants. :eek:

I don't think there are any fish in your tank that they could be afraid of. If they are in good health, don't worry. :D

Are your gouramis male, female, or one of each? :unsure:

Inchworm said:
I don't think there are any fish in your tank that they could be afraid of.
perhaps they are afraid of the honey gourami :/

my dwarf gouramis are the same, except the female is a bit braver and will swim up and down sometimes :rolleyes: . if i sit still and watch, they both come out :unsure: . also, at feeding time they both come :lol: . the lad seems to have made the bit behind the filter his territory :look: - which is very annoying cos i can't see him at all!! :grr:

It's not hard to tell the difference between male and female gouramis, especially the standard size ones. The male will have a longer and pointed dorsal fin while the female's is shorter and rounded. Here is a link with a picture of a male:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=21&pCatId=973

I find that the easiest way is to look down at them from the top of the tank. From this view, the male will have a smooth body tapering from head to tail, while the female will be rounded in the abdominal area and then taper to the tail.

I wouldn't think that they should be afraid of the honey gouramis, but I can't speak from experience on this. :dunno: I would appreciate your feedback on this question. How do they interact, if at all. Where, in the tank, do you find them--in one place or all over?

I'm not surprised. That's what I pretty much thought they would do. :nod:

Was the info about telling the sex of your fish helpful? :unsure:

Inchworm said:
I wouldn't think that they should be afraid of the honey gouramis, but I can't speak from experience on this. :dunno:
i wasnt sure, never kept honey gouramis :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back