Shy Fish / Lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mingus Dew

Reaction score
So I've had five Rosy Red Minnows for about two weeks now and I've found when the tank light is on they tend to cluster and hide in the corner beneath a plant. As soon as the light goes off they all disperse and swim around the tank/forage and behave normally. I tried removing one of the bulbs in the hood (it uses two 15w bulbs, 10 gallon tank) so the lighting is not as strong, but there's still a marked difference in behavior when it goes on/off. Is this a sign they'd be better with no lighting at all?

I'm not sure if fish get "conditioned" to a certain lighting schedule, but if possible I'd like them to be able to live with some light so that people can actually see them.

Thanks!

You could try some floating plants. Maybe a nice water lettuce..I'd stay away from the duckweed though, unless it's the larger variety as it's very annoying stuff.

You could try some floating plants. Maybe a nice water lettuce..I'd stay away from the duckweed though, unless it's the larger variety as it's very annoying stuff.

+1 i was about too recommend this :lol:

Fish will get used to your schedule. Keep the lights on, add some floating plants for "protection" sake, and keep an eye on them. Eventually all fish get used to the lights, even nocturnal ones such as my Clown Knife, he used to never swim during the time my lights were on, now, almost a year later, he doesn't seem to care at all. (I just assume it's a male lol)

If you feed your fish as soon as you turn the lights on, they'll soon recognise it as a signal that something nice is going to happen like Pavlov's dogs :lol:

Welcome to our forum Mingus Dew.
As others have alreadty said, fish are simple beasts that cone to associate one or another cue to food or similar positive things. If feedings always follow a change in light intensity, it will not take long before your fish think more light means food. Once your fish start to associate light with food, they will not hide when the lights come on.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back