Shy Firemouth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
37 Gallon Tank... 6 tiger barbs, 2 rosy barbs, and just added a Firemouth Cichlid...

I added the Firemouth to my tank a little over 24 hours ago. He's really shy it seems. he spends most of his time behind a piece of driftwood I have. He hasn't come up/out to eat once yet.

I'm wondering if this adjustment period is normal for them, or if he just happens to be a timid firemouth. I figured as he was a semi-aggressive cichlid, that he'd be a lot bolder. He's definitely the biggest fish in the tank.

What should I do?

- kip

Firemouths are actually pretty timid, though territorial, by nature. Don't worry about him not eating. It usually takes 24-48 hours for them to start eating after they've gotten adjusted.

Valerie

Thanks Val,

he's actually just started to come out and eat. and he's not taking as much crap from the tiger barbs as before.

I have a piece of blue cellophane i put over the light to make it dimmer and give a soft blue glow to the tank. as soon as i put that blue light effect on, he came out. ya think the bright light is making him nervous or uneasy? i am gonna keep the dimmed light effect going for a couple days maybe to keep him comfortable coming out.

- kip

My firemouth hid out most all the time, never would really eat and then got ich and died. My husband said he was wild caught and that was why he never came around. I hope yours does better than mine did. -_-

i hope so too! :/

so far he's eating pretty good. he's showing quite an appetite.

when you add new fish to an established tank it is always good to keep the lights off for a few days to allow the fish to get used to things.

semper fi

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back