Shy Dwarf Plecs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Egmel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have 2 Gold Spot Dwarf Plecs (like pitbulls) and they're absolutely lovely but they seem to be scared stiff of anyone being near the tank.

They have plenty plenty of cover (bog wood, plants and stones) there are 'dither fish' (guppies and penguin tetras) but they just hide away all the time.

It's not that they're not used to me, I sit quietly by the tank for hours on end! (it drives the guppies mad because they seem to think they can eat me through the glass)

They only come out for cucumber when I'm not around :sad:

Any ideas how I can see more of my beautiful plecs? :wub:

[edit] I've had them almost a year now so they're fully acclimatised.

I have 2 Gold Spot Dwarf Plecs (like pitbulls) and they're absolutely lovely but they seem to be scared stiff of anyone being near the tank.

They have plenty plenty of cover (bog wood, plants and stones) there are 'dither fish' (guppies and penguin tetras) but they just hide away all the time.

It's not that they're not used to me, I sit quietly by the tank for hours on end! (it drives the guppies mad because they seem to think they can eat me through the glass)

They only come out for cucumber when I'm not around :sad:

Any ideas how I can see more of my beautiful plecs? :wub:

[edit] I've had them almost a year now so they're fully acclimatised.

Not really sure, sometimes they are simply shy...You could try a blue moon light, we used to put one on in the evening and it worked wonders for getting one of our shy plecs to come out.... 8)

Read this article - http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php

It's written by Irene (one of the people who runs Planet Catfish) and is a well-respected dwarf plec breeder. The article itself relates to Dwarf Gold Stripes (as opposed to Spots) but my understanding is they have very similar character traits.
As you'll see from the article, she hardly ever saw her pair for the first two years.
Everyone seems to be of the opinion that they are just rather shy fish - but beautiful nonetheless

Read this article - http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php

It's written by Irene (one of the people who runs Planet Catfish) and is a well-respected dwarf plec breeder. The article itself relates to Dwarf Gold Stripes (as opposed to Spots) but my understanding is they have very similar character traits.
As you'll see from the article, she hardly ever saw her pair for the first two years.
Everyone seems to be of the opinion that they are just rather shy fish - but beautiful nonetheless
Actually completely different fish! These are mine

An interesting article all the same. :good:

irene has nothing to do with the running of planetcatfish. and the panaque that irene has written an article about is not a dwarf one. 4of4 eh??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back