Shy Black Phantoms?

Matt_Lam_97

Reaction score
Hi all! Hope everyone is managing through yet another lockdown here in the U.K!
Just wanted to get some thoughts on my Black Phantom Tetras!

We've had our tank around 2 months now and we're really pleased. We got our latest additions around 4/5 weeks ago which were two Red Honey Gouramis and a female (who is now pregnant) and male Swordtail (which are obviously live bearers/breeders - our local seller is happy to have the fry from us) however I feel like the pregnancy may be affecting our Black Phantom Tetras or it could be something else? Before we got the last four, we had our two Black Phantoms, two Guppies and two Dwarf Gouramis, all very friendly fish and happily congregating - however, when we introduced the latest four (and a larger real plant) the two Black Phantoms seem to be lurking beneath the big plant at the back, only coming out when we feed them. They've grown quite a bit and are both big lads compared to when they got them - but they just seem timid compared to when they used to flit about the shop when we first got them - I worry that either there might not be enough of them and they now feel intimidated by the rest of the fish or maybe they can sense the pregnant Swordtail and are keeping away?
Just wanted to know what everyone else thought? We frequently test and all the parameters have been spot on.

Thanks in advance ?

Hi all! Hope everyone is managing through yet another lockdown here in the U.K!
Just wanted to get some thoughts on my Black Phantom Tetras!

We've had our tank around 2 months now and we're really pleased. We got our latest additions around 4/5 weeks ago which were two Red Honey Gouramis and a female (who is now pregnant) and male Swordtail (which are obviously live bearers/breeders - our local seller is happy to have the fry from us) however I feel like the pregnancy may be affecting our Black Phantom Tetras or it could be something else? Before we got the last four, we had our two Black Phantoms, two Guppies and two Dwarf Gouramis, all very friendly fish and happily congregating - however, when we introduced the latest four (and a larger real plant) the two Black Phantoms seem to be lurking beneath the big plant at the back, only coming out when we feed them. They've grown quite a bit and are both big lads compared to when they got them - but they just seem timid compared to when they used to flit about the shop when we first got them - I worry that either there might not be enough of them and they now feel intimidated by the rest of the fish or maybe they can sense the pregnant Swordtail and are keeping away?
Just wanted to know what everyone else thought? We frequently test and all the parameters have been spot on.

Thanks in advance ?
photos? other than that i think theyre fine, just scared because they are new

photos? other than that i think theyre fine, just scared because they are new
I'll try and grab some now - the Tetras have been in there since November, they were the first batch - it's only since this new lot have joined? Maybe I'm over thinking it - my other half says I'm worrying too much and they are probably very happy lurking beneath their big new plant!

I'll try and grab some now - the Tetras have been in there since November, they were the first batch - it's only since this new lot have joined? Maybe I'm over thinking it - my other half says I'm worrying too much and they are probably very happy lurking beneath their big new plant!
yeah i got some swordtails a week ago and they never come up to eat they just get scraps and stuff. they are super scarerd of me and hide under the plants

You can see one of the Black Phantom Tetras at the back, and the other on the other picture a bit closer up (he just seems to dwell in one spot, bobbing about) which is weird as they weren't like this at all before we got the latest additions?

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_220319.jpg
    IMG_20210116_220319.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210116_220329.jpg
    IMG_20210116_220329.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 39
There are only the 2 tetra? Or am I misreading? They are a schooling fish, so you should have them in at least a group of at least 5, but more is always better. They could be feeling lonely and intimidated by so many other fish.

There are only the 2 tetra? Or am I misreading? They are a schooling fish, so you should have them in at least a group of at least 5, but more is always better. They could be feeling lonely and intimidated by so many other fish.
Yeah just the two of them currently - I did think they may be feeling a bit intimidated, I'm going to look into putting some more Black phantoms in there with them to bulk it up to six of them. I love our Swordtails but I don't want to over crowd the tank, I may have to swap them for the BPT's - the pregnant female has definitely cause a change amongst some of the other fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back