Shrimps & Snails

ADW1988

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As my fishless cycle is now well underway, I have (understandably) thought about what fish I would like.

Now as I'm new to the hobby, I started small with a 60L tank. I know about stocking levels and I'm not going to 'jam pack' a small tank but I did start to wonder about Shrimps and Snails.

I've heard friends say they like to climb out of the tank!! Is this so>?

How beneficial are they to algae control? Is it worth getting some/one?

Thanks,
ADW

The only ones I have had climb out are Amano Shrimp and they all climbed out of one of my tanks - Not sure why as other shrimps are still happy in there and amanos in other tank all happy.  Think they were half lemming half shrimp!

I like to keep the lights on for 12hrs+ (I have a dark house and actually want to see my fish).  I have no problems with algae but I have quite a few shrimp and nerite snails which clean everything!

Nice so nerite snails?

Not saying I have an algae prob (fingers crossed and touches wood) but thought maybe good idea. How big do Amano Shrimp grow?

Amanos grow to about 1.5 to 2 inches.

Like pH 6.5 to 7.8 (brackish water for breeding/larvae but rarely done in tanks) temp 68 to 82F
Not aggressive to healthy fish and shrimps but sometimes may go for fish or shrimps who are unhealthy.

ahh ok thanks. will bear all in mind. Thanks Ch4rlie

Have a think about RCS or similar, you'll comfortably get a large amount in a 60L with very little bio-load. If your putting other fish in though you probably won't get any young shrimp (RCS are prolific breeders!)  surviving as they will be a tasty snack for most fish! If you put adult RCS in and have hiding places (plants etc) they should do fine as I assume you won't be putting many/large fish in a 60L tank. 
smile.png

For all the info you need on most shrimps, I use this website, PlanetInverts.
Good starting point for researching shrimps :)

www.planetinverts.com

@Welsh weeks, I certainly won't :). I haven't decided on what fish i want but I got this as a starter tank.. Think I may go with 3 Zebra danios  (and add 2 more later - good idea?) to start as I like how they look in the light witht he yellows and I hear are q steadfast.
And the Red Cherry Shrimp wont go Walkies as (sadly to admit) despite its size It will probably petrify my very soppy Greyhound
smile.png
plus I dont want them to die (the RCS!!!
tongue2.gif
)

@Ch4rlie thanks, just hopping along to that website now. Thanks again

Not sure how active danios are for your 60L? As it looks like your already are, just do research and never impulse buy when your in your LFS no matter how tempting it is!! lol

RCS won't jump out of your tank. UNLESS your water parameters are bad or traces of copper in tank, this will drive shrimps berserk making them run all over the tank looking for a safe area and have heard they may go to surface of water and try to get out. That's extreme though.

Zebra Danios best in shoal of 6+.

And as for your greyhound, well not much we can advise on that if he gets spooked by a wee red cherry shrimp! Lol :)

I have noticed in going to LFS, even saying I'm just looking at the moment, they still try to make a sale with a bottle of Tetra Safe start - Not for me i said.

They do seem very active. Out of interest, what do you guys think may be a good fish/fishes for a 60l.

This is the stepping stone to my dream of having a 400l+ tank.
I have the freshwater APT master test kit, but how can I test copper?

There's a good post on here somewhere about fish suitable for nano tanks. I know yours is bigger but MAYBE worth a look as you could possibly put some nice shoals of micro rasboras etc in there?

Its strange, all my shrimp are all fine in both tanks but all 3 of my amano's climbed out, water parameters all okay too, ha ha!

Nice so nerite snails?

That was my choice as they do not breed in freshwater and they are very good algae eaters. I use them as a preventative and I like the look!

Have a look at Celesteal Pearl Danios (sometimes called Galaxy Rasboras).  You could get quite a few in that tank and also have shrimp.

Have a look at this, theres some advice on small tanks. http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Stocking_a_Peaceful_Community_Tank

There's lots of interesting shrimp though, worth having a look around - I got this Rili Shrimp a while ago from the LFS, love him/her to bits
20130829_152955.jpg

The API test kit doesn't test for Copper, unfortunately. You'd have to buy a separate test for it, but, you shouldn't have a problem with it as long as you don't add any live plants treated with anti snail chemicals, which sometimes come in the form of Copper compounds.

Also, if you're treating your water with a dechlorinator which also detoxifies heavy metals you should be alright with that too. 

Shrimp are just as sensitive as fish (more so in some cases) with a non-cycled tank so please don't be tempted to add them before any fish thinking they'll be OK. It is possible to do a Shrimp/Fish-in cycle but not if you're adding ammonia manually.

I've never had a shrimp climb out either of my tanks. One Amano made it into the top of the filter but that was the first and last time he did that!

Great, thanks for the advice everyone. I'm following closely the cycling article pinned on this website closely.

I will check out the smaller tank thread, and I really do appreciate all the help. It's quite daunting even if you do read up as much as I have. So many variances etc so all this help is well received. The forum as a whole is very welcoming.

Many Thanks to all

& 214jay that shrimp is great. Really like it a lot and a great pic. Thanks,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back