Shrimps or no shrimps ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishEs2978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all ! Sooo I have a friend who has a 100l with two golden gourami and a red tailed shark three rummy nose , three cherry barbs , 3 mollies and 3 guppies - she wants to get some shrimp I’m getting some cherries on Friday and she liked them could she keep them together could she get some amanos ?

I really wouldn’t recommend it. Gourami’s are known for eating shrimp.

Maybe if the tank was heavily planted, it could work out.

Hmm ok . It is heavily planted but I think I’ll tell her to leave it it’s not worth the risk

Do you happen to take a picture of the tank?

If the tank has lots of hiding spots, then the shrimp will be able to hide from the Gourami’s.

My honey gourami’s haven’t messed with the shrimp I got. It’s been about a week now and they all range from a 1/4-1 inch. The gourami are still pretty small as well, maybe an inch or just over.

My honey gourami’s haven’t messed with the shrimp I got. It’s been about a week now and they all range from a 1/4-1 inch. The gourami are still pretty small as well, maybe an inch or just over.
Baby Gourami’s may not eat shrimp, because they won’t be able to fit them in their mouth just yet. But full grown Gourami’s certainly will, if the shrimp is out in the open.

Among the fish, the Red Tail Shark is the most aggressive. It can grow up to 6 inches and might pose a problem for the Amano shrimps

Last edited:
Baby Gourami’s may not eat shrimp, because they won’t be able to fit them in their mouth just yet. But full grown Gourami’s certainly will, if the shrimp is out in the open.
Just gonna throw it out there, most online sources have at least one type of gourami as ‘suitable tank mates’ for shrimp. I’d be more worried about the barbs, especially if they are anything like tiger barbs.

I’m getting more photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 26
If I got more plants ? Maybe ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 29
If you got amano shrimp, it would be a non issue. Cherry shrimp on the other hand, will be eaten by the Gourami’s very quickly.

Just gonna throw it out there, most online sources have at least one type of gourami as ‘suitable tank mates’ for shrimp. I’d be more worried about the barbs, especially if they are anything like tiger barbs.
Most online sources are inaccurate. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back