Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cyborg100

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting some shrimp to add to my tank. My tank has 6 platys, 3 mollies, and 2 swordtails. Are there any shrimp I could get that my fish would not eat?

okay to start off with we are going to need a little more info on your tank. namely.

how big is it (not that this really matters for shrimp)
is it cycled.
is it planted if so how densely.(pics could work)
what are your water conditions (one can find this on your water suppliers website)

sorry for all the questions but we need to know so that we can give you the answer to your question.

okay to start off with we are going to need a little more info on your tank. namely.

how big is it (not that this really matters for shrimp)
is it cycled.
is it planted if so how densely.(pics could work)
what are your water conditions (one can find this on your water suppliers website)

sorry for all the questions but we need to know so that we can give you the answer to your question.
It is a 20 gallon cycled tank that only has 3 spaced out plants in it. My water is very hard, however, I filtered it before I put it into my tank.

okay so shrimps prefer a high density of plants as this allows them to move about the tank in relitive safety. they also do better in hard water but exactly how hard is your water.

What some people call very hard water may be moderate at best. It would be better if you supply the General Hardness (GH) number in degrees or parts per million. If the water is too hard shrimp might not be able to molt. Also how did you filter the water, is it revers osmosis water or if not what brand or type of filter. Or what is the GH number after filtering. There are test kits available at aquarium shops for GH or you utility water quality report should list the tap water GH.

If the water is very soft after remineralizing minerals may have to be added to the water.

This is a commonly use GH test:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...hUKEwjB9ovT5uLWAhXJq1QKHXImAroQ9aACCDM&adurl=

okay so shrimps prefer a high density of plants as this allows them to move about the tank in relitive safety. they also do better in hard water but exactly how hard is your water.
I use a carbon filter to filter the water, but I don't know its exact level. I can't seem to find it on my water suppliers website. I can buy the test kit if you think it is necessary.

have you tried calling the water supplier. it is only necessary to get this value once so its not really worth buying a test kit.

Or take a sample of your tap water to an LFS and ask them to test the hardness. But make sure they give you the number and unit rather than something vague like 'hard'.

Filtering the water with carbon will only remove the organics in it. Carbon won't change the hardness.

Carbon filter are good at absorbing organics and some chemical. It will have no effect on water hardness. Carbon filters don't remove calcium magnesium or salts in the water. Hard water typically has a lot of calcium and or magnesium in the water. The General hardness test tells you this. The only filters that remove calcium magnesium and salts are RO filters or DI water filters. So the carbon filter you used had no significant effect on the hardness or your water.

I think mollies are large enough to eat shrimp so i would not recommend keeping them together. If you want to find out the hardness of your water, it may be best to call your water supplier as suggested by sean. If you want your LFS to test it for you, call them up beforehand to ask if they do it. It is a more expensive test so not all of them will offer it

I was thinking about getting some shrimp to add to my tank. My tank has 6 platys, 3 mollies, and 2 swordtails.
The live bearers will eat the shrimp. Live bearers will eat anything that fits in their mouth.

most fish will eat anything that fits in there mouths.
Ok. I have yet to call and find out my water hardness level, but for this sake what would be an appropriate level?
Could I get amano shrimp.? I hear they get pretty big and would not fit in my fishes mouths.

Could I get amano shrimp.? I hear they get pretty big and would not fit in my fishes mouths.

If they are fully grown Amano shrimp will be big enough to discourage most small fish. Since Amanos are typically captured in the wild they are generally fully grown or close to that size when you get them. However many others varieties that are breed in aquarium only the juvinals are shipped. So while the fish might not bother the adults they will eat the young small shrimp. So it you buy aquarium raised shrimp it would probably be best to put them in a small tank without fish and then move them into the aquarium with fish once they are fully grown.

Not sure what country you are in but make sure you buy amano (yamato) shrimp and not the feeder/glass variety as in the UK the feeder ones are really aggressive and can catch live small fish.

Most reactions

Back