Shrimp with angel fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Biglog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are there any shrimp that angel fish will leave alone? I want to start a shrimp colony but am scared they will become a snack for the angel fish.

Amano shrimp are a decent size (3-4cm) so could be safe with hiding spaces.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but talking about shrimp. Is there any shrimp-on-shrimp aggression one should consider? I've seen ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp, the size difference is noticeable, but not sure if that means one is going to eat or harass the other.

The risk is when the shrimp molt. If caught by a large and inquisitive adult angel (or any largish fish for that manner), it can quickly become a snack. Otherwise larger shrimp should be okay. So having plenty of hiding places (with small crevices) would reduce the risk of becoming snacks.

Not to hijack the thread, but talking about shrimp. Is there any shrimp-on-shrimp aggression one should consider? I've seen ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp, the size difference is noticeable, but not sure if that means one is going to eat or harass the other.
I've never had more than one type per tank. If I did I would worry about the smaller or slower species being out-competed for food.

When I started, I had two Amanos in a 55g community with Black Skirts Tetras, Bolivians and Peppered corys. They were always out and scavenging.
Fast forward decided to add some juvenile Angels. No problem but as the Angels grew after a few months the Amanos started hiding. Eventually, I could not find them, I thought they became lunch. Then a few more months past and during tank maintenance I found them hiding. Looking back it was self preservation, hiding from the Angels. I did move the Amanos to my RCS tank and they were out and about as usual and no issues.

Good Luck!

I have had amanos attack small fry. They will try to carry off the meaty sticks I put into tanks for plecos or corys. I have had amanos nip my hand because they wated the "hair" algae they thought was there.

That said, I nave a super heavily planted 15 gal. tank which contains three white clouds and then amanos and blue dream shrimp (these are very small). The blues are thriving and reproducing and have been in there for a long time. So the amanos cannot be decimating them, so far.

However, angels, like most fish, will try to east anything they think can fit in their mouth and they can surely catch amanos in open water. I originally got angels to control swordatail fry in my first tank. They also did a good job on bn pleco fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back