Shrimp Tankmates?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Freddy Robins

Reaction score
Hey all, so I recently set up my 55 gallon and wanted to know what fish I could add. I am in the process of starting a colony of shrimp. (it is a semi-planted tank) I was really interested in getting some Congo tetras, but didn't know because of their size if they would eat them. What other fish would work as well? I was thinking some blue neocardina, but if anyone has some other suggestions for shrimp species it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Unless your tank is very heavily planted, very few (if any) baby shrimp will survive. Congo tetras are fairly big and may well target the adult shrimps too. Very few fish are safe to keep with shrimp so you need to accept that baby shrimp will struggle to survive, even with the smallest fish.

Unless your tank is very heavily planted, very few (if any) baby shrimp will survive. Congo tetras are fairly big and may well target the adult shrimps too. Very few fish are safe to keep with shrimp so you need to accept that baby shrimp will struggle to survive, even with the smallest fish.
What kinds of fish would work then? Smaller tetras and rasporas? This is my first time keeping shrimp and want to do it right.

Nearly all fish will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. new born shrimp are tiny and while you may have more success with smaller tetras you will still lose a lot of baby shrimp. I have some shrimp hitchhikers in a tank with pencil fish and a few of the babies are surviving but the tank they are in is very heavily planted. From what I've read, ottocinclus seem to be the safest bet.

I keep a species only tank for my shrimp. However, 55G is a big tank for just shrimp. Mine are in a 20G long. If you plant it heavily and have lots of rocks formations and caves for them to hide in, some babies will survive but it will be limited. No fish can resist the temptation of a yummy baby shrimp. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back