Shrimp tank in the home office

Some new pictures of the tank in the sun and the indostomus, also in the sun, though they do not want to hang out where I could photograph. Ofcourse the sun causes a bit of hair algae, but that is ok, it is worth the boost the plants get. After moving the tank and using the no planaria, the shrimp now have third generation so the tank looks amazing. I also feed a bit of algae wafers every week to compensate for the high protein diet they get from the microworms/bbs leftovers
IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

I wish I could get this fish to breed. I have seen enough breeding behavior during the summer, but no babies.
I wonder if it is the ramshorns or the shrimp. I am trying to reduce the snails. I have other tanks breeding with snails, but most babies are surface dwelling. I wonder if there is somethhing I can do to help.

I dosed bacter ae twice in super small doses and will squirt some of the paramecium culturue to the tank, just to make it interresting for the fish. Granted I do not know if they can catch that, but still

I removed most of the shrimp I found and moved them to the clown killifish tank to see if this will help with the breeding. The tank has a cyclops colony, which is good, althought they are hanging mostly on the surface so not sure if the indostomus will hunt them. The fish are mostly sitting in their tubes, not active much, but hey they are alive. Cant ask for more
IMG_0531 (1).JPG

The indostomus tank is working, though I lost one of the fish, no idea why. May be feeding as I fed a bit less, might be age as I have had them for about a year now. No clue. Others are doing ok
For now a pair of clown killifish were moved in there to attempt a breeding, as I was thinking, the indostomus dont hunt the surface so the killifry could live there, but ever since adding the clown killifish, the indostomus are all over the tank. Maybe the addition of a dither fish made them more courageous, or maybe the competition for food forced them to move. No clue, I feed a bit more and do not have a plan to leave the clown killifish there for more than few days, a week tops

IMG_1341.JPG

I caught a strange indostomus behavior, maybe mating but usually the male is supposed to entice the female into his tube, this was not the case. I moved the clown killifish back before the weekend and this is not the first time I have seen the indostomus doing this.

ofcourse my glass is not washed, there was not ideal light and the video is shaky,... but the behavior happend at that time, so couldnt be picky

Setting up a shrimp tank in your home office can be an engaging and visually appealing project that adds a touch of nature to your workspace. Begin by selecting a tank of appropriate size, typically ranging from 5 to 10 gallons, ensuring it fits well within the available space. Opt for a fine-grained substrate such as aquarium soil or specialized shrimp substrate to support plant growth and provide a natural environment for your shrimp. Consider gentle filtration options like sponge filters or hang-on-back filters with pre-filter sponges to prevent baby shrimp from being sucked into the filter. Lighting is essential for plant growth, so choose LED lights with adjustable brightness to create a natural daylight effect without overwhelming the tank.

Introduce live plants like Java moss, Java fern, and Anubias, along with driftwood and shrimp-safe decorations to create hiding spots and enhance the aesthetic appeal of the tank. Maintain stable water parameters within the ideal range for shrimp, including temperature (72-78°F), pH (6.5-7.5), and low levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Start with a small group of beginner-friendly shrimp species such as Cherry shrimp or Ghost shrimp, and supplement their diet with specialized shrimp pellets or algae wafers. Regular maintenance, including water changes and monitoring shrimp behavior and health, will ensure a thriving and captivating shrimp tank in your home office, providing a tranquil and enjoyable atmosphere for work or relaxation.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back