Shrimp Stocking Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I need a clean-up crew of shrimp. I have a 75g tank and was wondering how many I would need for that volume. Ideas?

Thanks.

What do you want to clean up? Shrimps may eat any left over food but that's all.

What species of shrimp? If you want something like cherry shrimps in any of its colours, they will breed like rabbits provided there are enough hiding places so you don't need to buy many but will soon have a lot.

I agree with essjay. I started with 17 and have had over 200 from there. :). Corydoras are good at cleaning the bottom of tank. You will have to check to see if they are compatible with your other stock and water parameters though.

I agree with essjay. I started with 17 and have had over 200 from there. :). Corydoras are good at cleaning the bottom of tank. You will have to check to see if they are compatible with your other stock and water parameters though.

Well I have a bunch of waste and detritus that settles at certain areas of my tank that don't get swept up ever since I removed my wave maker. I was thinking of amano shrimp.

Well I have a bunch of waste and detritus that settles at certain areas of my tank that don't get swept up ever since I removed my wave maker. I was thinking of amano shrimp.
Well, they won’t eat poop, is that’s what you mean. You need to take that out.

You could get amano or cherry shrimp. What stock do you have in the tank already?

Well, they won’t eat poop, is that’s what you mean. You need to take that out.

You could get amano or cherry shrimp. What stock do you have in the tank already?

I know nerite snails are great, but I hate how they lay eggs on everything. I currently have 12 congo tetras in there.

I know nerite snails are great, but I hate how they lay eggs on everything. I currently have 12 congo tetras in there.
You could get a lot. But I would start out with 15 - 20.

I'll try the amano shrimp, but one more question. I plan on adding an electric blue acara to the tank eventually. Will they terrorize or eat the amanos?
Yes, they will most likely eat them. If you want shrimp, I don’t suggest getting the electric blue acara.

Maybe if your tank was heavily planted, that would work. But in a sparse tank, the electric blue acara will eat them all,

Well I have a bunch of waste and detritus that settles at certain areas of my tank that don't get swept up ever since I removed my wave maker.
No fish or shrimps will eat this. It is the fish keeper's job to remove it. That's one of the reasons we do water changes.

But shrimps do make a good addition to a tank for other reasons, though not with fish big enough to eat them. As amanos do not reproduce in fresh water, you would need rather a lot for a 75 gallon tank!

No fish or shrimps will eat this. It is the fish keeper's job to remove it. That's one of the reasons we do water changes.

But shrimps do make a good addition to a tank for other reasons, though not with fish big enough to eat them. As amanos do not reproduce in fresh water, you would need rather a lot for a 75 gallon tank!
Lesson learned. I did not know that! :)

I think the Amanos would be too big for a Blue Acara to eat, they shouldnt attack them either as they wont be a threat to territory. Amanos are quite a big shrimp when grown and if you add a juvenile Acara I think they will be ignored. A densly planted tank will help reduce the risk too.

As others have said they wont eat the poop but they will disturb some of it into the water column so your filter can get it out. The acara will help with this too as they will likely dig in the substrate.

Wills

Any Shrimp will be eaten by fish if they hungry & have a chance. You dont trust me ? Fast your Congo for 2 days. You'll see Amano body part around your tank :fish: . didn't mean you terrorize you, but that's the truth, my suggestion try 5 Shrimp first and then add more if everyhing goes right.
Guud luck!:)

Hello

Can we have some more information about your tank and a picture of the whole tank? Shrimps I would only put into planted tanks.

What you are looking for are in fact ramshorn snails. Those guys are the best clean-up crew for fresh water aquaria I know of.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back