shrimp safe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jlo718

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello does this filter look shrimp safe? Or should I put mesh behind it just to be sure?

Attachments

• 20200527_114643.jpg
    20200527_114643.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Baby shrimps would go through that easily. If you can screen it with mesh or even a bit of pantihose, that would stop shrimplets going in.

I cut a small piece of coarse sponge to put in there. At least I used to. Once my population grew I stopped using it and leave the shrimp to come and go as they please in my Flex. The way the rear compartment is arranged means I have the sponge filter to stop them getting through to the pump compartment. it only comes out half way through water changes, at which point the level is too low for them to go from one compartment to the other.

I agree. Baby shrimp can get sucked in very easily. Adult shrimp might have a better chance. I would still suggest putting fine mesh or pantyhose over the intake.

I see. Great advice everyone. And cool concept Seange. Basically gives them an extra room.

Actually watching the interactions and how the hierachy develops over time is fascinating.
I'm convinced that I have separate groups that live in different zones of the tank and only come together at feeding or breeding time before going back to their own areas. And yes there is a group living in the back. This does not seem to be related to size because there is a full range of sizes in each area.
I can't actually guarantee they always go back to the same areas because mostly I can't identify individual shrimp - but the few that I can (individual markings and scars) do seem to always be in the same areas.

@seangee That is cool, my ghost shrimp just had another baby shrimp, I saw him while doing water change. Since I could not get frog bite I added water sprite to their tank. They seem to like it better than anacharis or moneywort or maybe it is just new to them. Most of them are hanging out in it now.

I'm putting a mesh for now,but i like the idea that they can go as they plz

Actually watching the interactions and how the hierachy develops over time is fascinating.
I'm convinced that I have separate groups that live in different zones of the tank and only come together at feeding or breeding time before going back to their own areas. And yes there is a group living in the back. This does not seem to be related to size because there is a full range of sizes in each area.
I can't actually guarantee they always go back to the same areas because mostly I can't identify individual shrimp - but the few that I can (individual markings and scars) do seem to always be in the same areas.
That's so interesting!

Do you think this mesh is small enough?

Attachments

• 15906244605467195435062080145229.jpg
    15906244605467195435062080145229.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back