Shrimp safe ich treatment

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kellyrazz1996

Reaction score
I believe one of my bettas has ich (photos to follow, I'm at work right now!) and I was looking into treating with API super ich cure when I read that it isn't safe for shrimp. I see everyone's suggestions about adding aquarium salt and increasing the aquarium temperature to 86 degrees, but I have issues with this. For starters, I already have salt in the tank. I add it per each fresh gallon of water during water changes. In addition to there already being salt present, my heater can't change temperatures. It's preset to around 76 I think.
I have different kinds of fish, a bunch of shrimp, snails, and a variety of plants. Is there a safe method to treat ich without killing half of my tank?

Is high temp ok? That's the recommended treatment for ich here.

Gravel vac & water change, increase temp as you refill. Set to 30 degrees celsius. Keep high temp for two weeks with water changes as usual.

Is high temp ok? That's the recommended treatment for ich here.

Gravel vac & water change, increase temp as you refill. Set to 30 degrees celsius. Keep high temp for two weeks with water changes as usual.

I've ordered a water heater that I can adjust the temperature on, but it won't be here until next week :/ I had looked for one in stores around me about a month ago and to my surprise couldn't find one anywhere. Once it's here I'll raise the temperature, but until then it's stuck.

Do you have any recommendations for disinfecting the substrate and live plants I have? I read somewhere that the plants can be soaked in a very dilute hydrogen peroxide solution for a few minutes and then rinsed thoroughly. Do you have any experience with that?

Read post #16 in the following link, which is also the same link AilyNC provided. It tells you several ways to treat white spot, including treating tanks with inverts in.

And post pictures of the fish so we can confirm it is white spot and not something else. Also test your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Until you get a new heater or medication, do a 80-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day. This will dilute the number of white spot parasites in the tank and buy the fish time until you get the heater.

--------------------
Why are you adding salt to your tank every water change?
Unless you have brackish water fish, or you are treating fish with salt, you should not be adding salt (sodium chloride) to a freshwater aquarium.

Read post #16 in the following link, which is also the same link AilyNC provided. It tells you several ways to treat white spot, including treating tanks with inverts in.

And post pictures of the fish so we can confirm it is white spot and not something else. Also test your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Until you get a new heater or medication, do a 80-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day. This will dilute the number of white spot parasites in the tank and buy the fish time until you get the heater.

--------------------
Why are you adding salt to your tank every water change?
Unless you have brackish water fish, or you are treating fish with salt, you should not be adding salt (sodium chloride) to a freshwater aquarium.
Sorry for the late response!
The fish in question ended up dying while I was at work and was mostly eaten by the shrimp and other little scavengers in the tank by the time I got home.
I read that a small amount of aquarium salt was good for their gills/respiratory system/overall health? Is that not right? It's an easy fix if so.
My adjustable water heater finally arrived and is currently in action. Gradually raising the temperature to 86 degrees so I don't shock the fish. I completely sanitized all the decor and live plants in the aquarium by soaking them in hydrogen peroxide (a dilution for the plants) and scrubbing anything hard, then I took all of the substrate and cleaned it with a strainer and hot water. I've been doing water changes daily since the large scale cleaning and have been putting in 2tsp aquarium salt per gallon of water. So far, besides the initial sick fish who quickly perished, everyone is doing great!

Salt can help fish if there is a nitrite problem in the tank. However, the best treatment for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate is a big water change, using dechlorinated water.

You don't need salt in a tank when treating white spot because the parasites occur in fresh, brackish and seawater. Salt has no effect on white spot parasites.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back