Shrimp questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Natabettas

Reaction score
Hey. Iā€™m pretty new to shrimp. Just got my first three a month or so ago. I am wondering the genders of these two shrimp. My guess was #1 is male and #2 is female but looking for a second opinion from other shrimp keepers. I also was wondering how you can tell if a female is berried? Any tips welcome (also I know the tank is dirty looking todayā€™s cleaning day and itā€™s a baby grow out tank thatā€™s why itā€™s bare bottom donā€™t come at me please ?)

Attachments

• 5EF7EC39-6C6D-4C3A-B5CC-6182E66D5BC9.jpeg
    5EF7EC39-6C6D-4C3A-B5CC-6182E66D5BC9.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 94CD25D6-A3B4-471A-9594-F9217C2986D8.jpeg
    94CD25D6-A3B4-471A-9594-F9217C2986D8.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 93
Those are female. When a shrimp is berried you can see the tiny baby shrimp on their bellies; it will be fairly obvious. I would buy a few more if you want them to breed and try to make sure you get a male. It's so much fun to watch. That's a beautiful color. I have RCS, yellow, and blue velvet. Orange is on my list.

Sorry, I can't help with identifying the gender but I'm looking at getting some shrimp soon, do your other fish leave them alone? :) I don't want anybody getting eaten.

Sorry, I can't help with identifying the gender but I'm looking at getting some shrimp soon, do your other fish leave them alone? :) I don't want anybody getting eaten.
I currently just have them in a little grow out tank with baby guppies and a sponge filter. Iā€™m too scared theyā€™ll be eaten by my other fish if I put them in any other tank lol. I have heard if there is enough hiding spaces though that they should be fine

Those are female. When a shrimp is berried you can see the tiny baby shrimp on their bellies; it will be fairly obvious. I would buy a few more if you want them to breed and try to make sure you get a male. It's so much fun to watch. That's a beautiful color. I have RCS, yellow, and blue velvet. Orange is on my list.
Itā€™s not the babies that you see but the eggs. :)

Can anyone tell if either of my shrimps in the photos are berried? Idk if itā€™s just the pattern on their belly or wha so Iā€™m gettin confused lol

Can anyone tell if either of my shrimps in the photos are berried? Idk if itā€™s just the pattern on their belly or wha so Iā€™m gettin confused lol
Doesn't look like they are berried.

Not berried, but the one in the first photo definitely has a saddle, so when she molts you can expect the boys to start doing crazy laps looking for her.

Not berried, but the one in the first photo definitely has a saddle, so when she molts you can expect the boys to start doing crazy laps looking for her.
She sure does, I missed that, good eye!

My Betta just made picnic sandwiches of two of the cherrys in his tank. They hid inside the Cholla wood, but he caught them just the same. My other cherry shrimp share tanks with Amano, pea puffers, Kuhli loaches, sparkling gourami and albino corydoras without any issue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back