Shrimp population colour changes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mikeyboy123

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi,

I started off with about 8 red cherry shrimp back in September and now have Too many to count but I would guess at least 100. One thing I have noticed is some colour changes going on amongst the population.

the first one I noticed was a prominent light stripe down the full length of the back, and now I’ve noticed a few with white eyes instead of black.

neither of these characteristics were present in my original population. Anyone else noticed any changes to their shrimp populations over time?

it doesn’t bother me at all, just thought it was quite interesting.

Mine have the white stripe, apparently it's genetics.
No white eyes though...

Hi,

I started off with about 8 red cherry shrimp back in September and now have Too many to count but I would guess at least 100. One thing I have noticed is some colour changes going on amongst the population.

the first one I noticed was a prominent light stripe down the full length of the back, and now I’ve noticed a few with white eyes instead of black.

neither of these characteristics were present in my original population. Anyone else noticed any changes to their shrimp populations over time?

it doesn’t bother me at all, just thought it was quite interesting.
After a while, the shrimp will start breeding with their own siblings, also known as inbreeding. This is why it’s a good idea to add “new blood” (5-10 new shrimp) every 6 months or so.

I saw inbreeding so bad in this one guys tank, that he had brown cherry shrimp. They were healthy as they could be, but their offspring will have even more genetic issues.

After a while, the shrimp will start breeding with their own siblings, also known as inbreeding. This is why it’s a good idea to add “new blood” (5-10 new shrimp) every 6 months or so.

I saw inbreeding so bad in this one guys tank, that he had brown cherry shrimp. They were healthy as they could be, but their offspring will have even more genetic issues.
Okay, next time I’m at the lfs I’ll get some fresh blood.

Most reactions

trending

Back