Shrimp in main tank but not really

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nic1

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone that remembers me, and to those who have never heard of me! I haven't been on here for ages, but I need some opinions from fishy people.
My tanks has been running for years, the fish I have are old and I haven't restocked the numbers as I'm slowly trying to merge my tanks together so I only have one harmonious tank..
I have a rcs tank and a large 200L community of 3 glo light tetras, 10 bronze cory, 2 sae, 2 female platy, 2 glass fish. My plan is to add the contents of the rcs tank into the big tank.
I've moved some plants over in the past and only one rcs hitchhiked when I presume was a tiny baby and has made it to adult hood. I was going to do this when the platys and glass fish have died of old age as the tetras are so fat and slow now they aren't much of a threat haha.
Anyway, my predicament is, the rcs tank has been slowly leaking from a seal, it's a small tank only 30L and I've stemed it but it's on its way out, so I have to make the move in the near future.... I have it in my head that I can put in a large fry tank and set up a mini aquarium in the large tank, but how long can this set up realistically last for? I can just put the rcs in the main tank, but I don't think its fair that they will have to live in fear, and buying a new tank is not an option.
What shall I do? And if the fry tank is an option, what would be the best long term fry tank for them (the fish range from 5-8 years old).
Thanks in advance, Nic

I have it in my head that I can put in a large fry tank and set up a mini aquarium in the large tank, but how long can this set up realistically last for?
what do you mean by this?
do you want to put a large breeding net in the big tank and keep the shrimp in that, or something else?

The tetras and corys will be fine. I can't answer for the others because I don't keep them. RCS are excellent at hiding as you probably already know. I would expect them to be fine as long as there are plenty of hiding places that your fish can't get into.

If you can do wait for someone to confirm on the other species. If there is anything in the tank that naturally hunts shrimp it may be a different matter.

what do you mean by this?
do you want to put a large breeding net in the big tank and keep the shrimp in that, or something else?
yes.... Basically, I was thinking of a large plastic one, like the marina one of 1.2L.... But now I'm thinking maybe i might save a few in there and let the rest go....

The tetras and corys will be fine. I can't answer for the others because I don't keep them. RCS are excellent at hiding as you probably already know. I would expect them to be fine as long as there are plenty of hiding places that your fish can't get into.

If you can do wait for someone to confirm on the other species. If there is anything in the tank that naturally hunts shrimp it may be a different matter.
The sae and glass fish basically wiped out the platy fry, I used to have so many, but now I have 2! I don't plan to restock anything as in the end I don't want a multi species fish tank, so the juvenile rcs will probably be predated upon.
I think that I will save some in the trap, add more plants to the main tank, then let them go and take it from there.... Fingers crossed. Thanks btw

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back