Shrimp Hybridization

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TylerFerretLord

g͝e͠ek҉
Reaction score
Something you hear about a lot in the shrimpkeeping hobby is that you cannot keep species from the same genus together or you will get hybrids. This has always come off with the same feeling as the 'stunted fish organs' myth, and I have never seen any evidence of this, just anecdotes and friend-of-a-friend stories. Does anyone here have experience with hybrids being produced in their tanks, or links to those who have?

Here's a list of color morphs that WILL hybridize(because they are the same species):
Cherry/Yellow shrimp and other morphs of Neocaridina heteropoda
CRS/Bee/Tiger shrimp and other morphs of Caridina cantonensis
Blue pearl/Snowball shrip and other morphs of N. cf. zhangjiajiensis

It also appears that the shrimp that require brackish/marine conditions for larval developement do not hybridize, such as Amano shrimp(C. multidentata).

I think it's probably got more to do with shrimp species names not being consistent between sources. Though I don't think it's unlikely those in the same genus and same breeding methods hybridise, look as swordtails and platies.

Not sure about links, I think ~T~ has some hybrid shrimp though.

CRS, CBS and bee shrimp are all the exact same species just colour morphs through selctive breeding of each other. The base genuses for dwarf shrimp are Cardinia, Xiphocaris (yellow nose shrimp), neocradinia and halocardinia (hawaiin red shimp) ones of the same genus have a possibility of hybridising however ones of different genus won't.

I think it's probably got more to do with shrimp species names not being consistent between sources. Though I don't think it's unlikely those in the same genus and same breeding methods hybridise, look as swordtails and platies.
Same here.

ones of the same genus have a possibility of hybridising however ones of different genus won't.
I think you missed the point of what I was saying.

I'm asking for some evidence of this, not for affirmation. How do you know this for a fact? Are you just repeating what you've been told?

I totally agree Tyler. I keep hearing people say on shrimp forums that snowballs and cherrys will interbreed but no one is able to confirm this and show any evidence. I think I'll chuck a juvie female cherry in with my snowballs and see if it happens. I'm betting probably not.

I have (or had as im not sure theres any left) some odd looking bee/tigers that are probably just mixes of morphs. Also I have palmata and cherry in the same tank and do sometimes see some odd looking shrimp that are a kind of maroon colour but after reading up on palmata it seems like theres a wide range of colouration so they may not be hybrids.

If anyone here has shrimp hybrid proof than please post as I would be interested to see them.

Agree with you Tyler, some sites say bumblebee and CRS/CBS/tigers can hybridize, I have had them together for a couple of years and they don't. I will give blue pearl and cherry a go sometime to see if they really cross.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back