Shrimp generation

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Francisco

Reaction score
Hi...I had shrimps since last month or 2. 1 of the 4 shrimps was pregnant, she gave birth like a month ago or so. The new generation of shrimp is grown and the old shrimps died. But my question was, do you guys think the new generation contains at least 1 female to keep the shrimp generations going? There are at least 8 shrimp in the new generation.

I would have thought that the chances are you could have both male and female shrimp so nature will take its course.

I've not kept shrimp before but I would be worried by two things:

1). I'm not sure the bloodline wouldn't need refreshing from time to time as they'll be breeding with their brothers and sisters so not sure how this would affect them. I've kept guppies and I like to get the odd fish or two as time progresses to keep the bloodline fresh so wonder if the same thing would be a good idea. I guess it depends how long you end up keeping them for, which leads onto my next point.

2). A couple of months sounds like quite a short amount of time for shrimps to live for. I've read that they normally live for 1-2 years so whilst you may not know how old they were when you got them, I would have expected them to last for longer than a couple of months so are you sure your water conditions are right? I thought shrimp can be quite delicate so will die off if there is something wrong with the water.

[Quote
last for longer than a couple of months so are you sure your water conditions are right? I thought shrimp can be quite delicate so will die off if there is something wrong with the water.[/QUOTE]

To answer your questions....ya the first generation of shrimp was the 1 I bought in store....so maybe they were old, my temperatures are usually 75....I have a heater just in case of cold winter. I do water changes every week or 2

It would be a good idea to get your water tested. If you don't have test kits of your own (which you really should have), most shops will test your water for you, but do make sure you write down the actual numbers.

Shrimps tend to be more sensitive than fish, so if they're dying, you could have something going wrong, and it would be best to check.

Do you have fish in the tank? Live plants? Most tanks benefit from weekly water changes, even if they're not heavily stocked, so I'd recommend you think about doing them a bit more often :)

Hi

Before I ask you a whole lot of questions, What type of shrimp are they?

Ghost/Glass shrimp are usually easy to keep, like all shrimp they require a cycled mature tank and stable water parameters.

Is the tank cycled?
What are your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and is your water soft or hard. This is very important.
What are you feeding them?
How much water are you changing and how often?
What type of plants?
What type of filter?
How strong is the current?
What type of substrate do you have?
Have you got a heater?
What is the water temp?
Can you post a photo of the tank?

2 weeks ago I ordered 100 glass shrimp online @ 64 cents each as live food for my Bumblebee Gobys,I got about 70 of these and 30 plain glass shrimp.

4mfKASl.jpg

wasn't I suprised when I opened the box?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back