Shrimp for PH of 6.0?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jamie D.

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting some shrimp, but the tank I'd want to put them in has a pretty stable PH of 6.0 My other tanks have a PH of around 7, but there's a bunch of driftwood in that big tank for the plecos (and the other tanks have non-shrimp-friendly fish/frogs). I've also been thinking about putting some crushed coral in the filter to raise that ever so slightly if possible (it's a bit low for the plecos, who would prefer a low of 6.4 or so), but it will stay in the 6-ish range for that community.

In any case, are there any shrimp species that would do okay in a PH of 6-ish? I read in a few places that the ever-popular cherry shrimp wouldn't really care for a PH that low.

Thanks for any suggestions/pointers!

Red cherry shrimp (neocaradina) will be fine in a pH of 6 as long as there is some harness, preferred GH is around 6 dGH but can be lower.
Crystal shrimp (caradina) are more sensitive and require require a pH below 7 (6 is ideal). They also like softer water but again there should be some minerals in the water. If you post your hardness numbers, specifically GH someone can advise.

If you post your hardness numbers, specifically GH someone can advise.
Thanks for that - very helpful! Sounds like there might be hope, then.

According the the city, my tap GH should be around 9 dgh. I don't have a test for that, but I can get one this weekend and test the tank water too.

Thanks for that - very helpful! Sounds like there might be hope, then.

According the the city, my tap GH should be around 9 dgh. I don't have a test for that, but I can get one this weekend and test the tank water too.
In that case its fine for red cherry shrimp. No need to do anything to adjust the water - in fact I strongly recommend you don't.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back