Shrimp For A Betta Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any shrimp that would do well in a 2.5g Betta tank. The tank is filtered, and planted. There is no heater though. Tank temp. normally stays around 24C but can dip down a little at night. Are there any shrimp that would work for this? I have some hair algae starting to grow so if theres a species that can get rid of that it is definitley a bonus.

A lowish temperature that drops even lower isnt ideal for the betta, it will do though.

Cherry shrimp, CRS, tiger shrimp, bee shrimp and all variants of those two species would be fine, provided the betta doesnt mind them. Some bettas just take a disliking for shrimp and constantly nip at them until they die. So just try him out with a couple of cherry shrimp first.

Thanks for the reply. How are cherry shrimp with hair algae? I think I will start dosing seachem flourish excel to help with it also.

They eat hair algae, just not tonnes of it unless they have no other food.

Be careful using Excel with shrimp (especially on a 2.5gal), it killed some of mine. Cherry shrimp are hardy enough that it probably wont kill them but it cant be good for them.

Your tank is a tad too small but more importantly too cold for a betta get a little heater and keep him at a constant 26-29C.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back