Shrimp died unexpectedly but its not pink

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

Sadly the amano shrimp I've had sice July or so has died, it is not pink so does that mean its literally died today? I gave the stones a bit of a stir around but I couldnt see it anywhere nere them, then took out 1.5litres of water and put in 1 litre which was at the same room temperature. This is usually how I clean it. The only thing that has changed in the tank is the yellow neocaridina that was added on Monday evening. They met each other a lot but obviously I didnt think they were fighting and I asked you guys about having them in the same tank before and you said it was ok. come to think of it i added a plant root tab on monday to the plant, I was told by the seller this was ok for a 1 gallon tank?

Are you sure the actual shrimp died? It sounds like you are seen a sheded exoskeleton

no def shrimp, i had to find it because i couldn't find the srhimp, there are eyes in it too so not the exoskeleton, three or four i've seen before so i know what they look like. I thought these things were meant to be easy to look after? it lived fine since july

no def shrimp, i had to find it because i couldn't find the srhimp, there are eyes in it too so not the exoskeleton, three or four i've seen before so i know what they look like. I thought these things were meant to be easy to look after? it lived fine since july
Shrimp are actually very sensitive to water parameters, Amano s are easier but still for the more experienced keepers.

OK well my relative while out shopping today bought me two more amano shrimp. So I've bought on ebay a testing kit with ten strips so I can can monitor this now.

They do have a short life span from 1-2 years depending on the type. Like @CryptFan said they are sensitive to water parameter. Sorry about your shrimp. I have lost a couple when they molted and my guppies went after them.

Was it kept in a conventional tank set up? It's hard to maintain water quality in anything less than 5 gallons.

Was it kept in a conventional tank set up? It's hard to maintain water quality in anything less than 5 gallons.

its 1 gallon - why is it hard to maintain water quality then because i'm doing like 80% water changes twice a week or so.

its not conventional, its got two moss balls, guppy grass stones on the bottom, thats it.

The thing with small tanks is that what would be a small change in a 55 or 75 gallon tank because of volume can be a big change in a small 1 gallon tank. Example: you have something like left over soap on your hands and you reach into the tank. Same amount of soap enters each tank a larger tank dissipates it easier while a small tank it is more concentrated by volume.

its 1 gallon - why is it hard to maintain water quality then because i'm doing like 80% water changes twice a week or so.
As Retired Viking said, things are much more concentrated in a small volume of water and parameter fluctuations happen quickly. Toxins, chemicals, additives, nitrogen, pollutants, pH, temperature...all are easier to control and manage in a larger filtered and heated tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back