Shrimp Deaths

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lordofthesea

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok, i've been having a really bad day. i've lost 3 of my red crystal shrimps and my last tgier shrimp today alone and i have no idea why. they just lose colour and die. the amano's and cherry shrimps in the tank seem fine.

ammonia, 0
nitrite, between 0.25 and 0 (i know this is a possible factor, but it was alot higher earlier and yet they're only dying now)
nitrate, between 0.5 and 0
pH 7.2
tank 28l
temp, 26c. i thought this was too high so i reduced it. (could this be a problem? should i turn it back up?)

anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how to stop it?

also, i have some shrimps coming by post tomorrow. should i put them in my big tank till the problem is sorted out?

I would guess that they're dying b/c of the nitrites. Finally succumbing to it.
Keep up water changes to keep that # as close to 0 as possible.

have you added any plants recently or added anything at all to your tank?

If you have some mature filter media I would put some in, or squeeze mature filter media into the tank, if there is nitrite there will be enough ammonia to kill the more sensitive species even if it doesn't show on tests. The nitrite itself doesn't bother shrimp. 26C is a little high for CRS, 24/25 is high enough. Cherry and amanos are a lot tougher than tigers or especially CRS. The new shrimp would have a better chance in a mature tank if the fish are not big enough to trouble or eat them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back